Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-15, 20:27

Default Missing in 1871 and 1911

Hi,
I am trying to find Mary Ann Graves on the 1871 census and the 1911 census.

She was born 1862 in Hull and registered JFM 1862 in Sculcoates.

1871 - missing

1881 - General servant. Living with Charles and Ann Clayton.
Birthplace recorded as HULL

1891 - Drapers Assistant. Living with Charles and Ann Clayton.
Birthplace recorded as Cromwell, New Zealand but think this must be an error by the enumerator.

1901 - Housekeeper. Living with Charles Clayton (Ann died 1899)
Birthplace recorded as HULL

1911 - missing

Ann Clayton's maiden name was GRAVES and she married Charles Clayton in 1869. I have found Ann at the time of the 1861 census and she is in service, which I was quite surprised about as she was from a very well off family.

Mary Graves (1847-1911) who was the sister of Ann, mentions Mary Ann Graves in her will and mentions her as her Niece.

At the moment, I am thinking the most likely scenario is that she was Ann's daughter, as I can't see any of the other siblings who she might belong to.

Mary Ann is not with Charles and Ann in 1871, but I have been unable to find Mary Snr at the time of the 1871 census. I have also been unable to find Mary and Ann's brother Philip (born Saltfleetby in 1834). Mary and Philip seem to have been very close. He never married, and she only married much later in life. They lived together in 1881, 1891 and he died at her house in 1900.

Ann, Mary and Philip had a sister called Lucy who went on to have children, but married before Mary Ann was born and their brother Epton (from whom I am descended) married in 1866. I have accounted for all his children.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Tom Tom; 06-11-15 at 05:29.