Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-09-09, 20:50

Default LMA on Ancestry

Like a whole lot of you, I have been glued to this new feature, and found a whole stack of Baptism/ Marriages etc. I am now still stuck on my Pudney lot (Rachel Willis who proported to have married William Pudney) etc. Merry! Will you please come out from under that table

Seriously though, I am in a right pickle. I cannot for the life of me find anything like the marriage of William Pudney to Rachel Willis, which has bugged me for about 5 years now. OK, maybe they didn't get married after all. They did have at least 7 kids, which I have four of the certs which are correct. However, the other three are a complete mystery as to their births, although I have just found their Baptisms on LMA/Ancestry. Perhaps the parents didn't register these births, thinking it would be OK just to have them baptised?

Here is a real conundrum - On the London Births and Baptisms there is one of William and Rachel's offspring which puzzled me. He is Charles Pudney, baptised on 5 Sept. 1852 to James William Pudney and Rachel Pudney at Holy Trinity, Tottenham. If you look at the original image on page 55 is states James William and Rachel and under the surname box is says 'Pudney alias Nightingale'. What is going on, I wonder?

Sorry this is rather long and convoluted, but has anyone got any ideas please?

Chris
Old 18-09-09, 21:00
Administrator

lol!:

Marriages Dec 1850
Chapman William Shoreditch 2 461
Cruft John Shoreditch 2 461
Honychurch Amelia Shoreditch 2 461
May Mary Charlotte Shoreditch 2 461
Moore Sophia Shoreditch 2 461
Newberry Samson Shoreditch 2 461
Newberry Samuel Shoreditch 2 461
Nightingale James William Shoreditch 2 461 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Randall Joseph Shoreditch 2 461
Willis Rachel Shoreditch 2 461 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-09-09, 21:03
Administrator

Most likely is that his mum changed her name after he was born, so one name is his birth surname and the other is either his step-father or his real dad if that was who she married.

Altenatively ........well, there are a few alternatives!

Do you have a baptism for James William at all?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-09-09, 21:09
Administrator

The marriage cert is on Ancestry! Says his father is James Nightingale, labourer.

Old 18-09-09, 21:14
Administrator

Maybe the children who apparently were not registered are under Nightingale?

Old 18-09-09, 21:19

Merry - I thought that was a possibility as well. I have the marriage cert of James William Nightingale and Rachel Willis in 1850, which states that Rachel father was a farrier. Having been given her Parish birth details many moons ago, it stated that she was born in 1819 in Henley, Oxon, and her father was a James Willis, blacksmith. Just a coincidence perhaps? I then sent off for the death cert for a 6 month old son of James Nightingale and Rachel, which says that Rachel was present at the death, and gives the address as West Green. William Pudney and wife (?) Rachel were living at West Green all the way along when all these kiddliwinks of theirs were born. What on earth do you make of it, eh?

I have searched through every which way to try and match a marriage between William Pudney and Rachel Willis, not to mention these three kids - Charles (1852), John (1859) and Sarah Louise (1856). Both John and Charles were supposed to have been born in Tottenham, and Sarah Louise was born in Camberwell.

Ye Gods and little fishes................!

Chris
Old 18-09-09, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Most likely is that his mum changed her name after he was born, so one name is his birth surname and the other is either his step-father or his real dad if that was who she married.

Altenatively ........well, there are a few alternatives!

Do you have a baptism for James William at all?
Do you mean baby James William Nightingale?
Old 18-09-09, 21:26
Administrator

Well, either James William Nightingale or James William Pudney, depending on which name he had at that time!

Old 18-09-09, 21:27

Quote:
Maybe the children who apparently were not registered are under Nightingale?
I have got the three elusive kiddliwinks baptisms today from Ancestry - i.e. Charles, Sarah Louise and John, and they are all down as kids of William Pudney and Rachel Pudney. I'm beginning to think our Rachel was a bit of a naughty gal, apart from anything else! She appeared to change and add names to her kids at will, which has proved to be a nightmare!
Old 18-09-09, 21:33

Quote:
Well, either James William Nightingale or James William Pudney, depending on which name he had at that time!
I think I shall have a nose around to try and find a baptism for this James William Nightingale.

Very odd, as I have the birth cert for the other 4 kids - Harry (1854), William (1858) James (1861 & my Great-grandfather) and Edward (1863)., but no sign of any baptisms for that lot.

Chris