Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 11-10-10, 13:54

Default I'm stuck on some more words in a will. I've done most of it.......

Not sure if this Will is unusual. It's a woman's whose husband is still alive when it's written although he did die a year before her. She seems to own a lot of land, I thought all of a woman's property was passed to her husband on marriage.
There is also something about Intestate at the end. It's not helping me understand it when I'm missing some words.

Can anyone fill in some blanks.

(Merry, it's the wife of the one you did the other night)

I'll put my transcription in the next post.
Old 11-10-10, 13:55

Elizabeth Chaplin nee Green 1754 – 1825

WILL

In the name of God amen I Elizabeth Chaplin the now wife of Robert Chaplin of Monks Eleigh in the County of Suffolk gentleman being of sound and disposing mind memory and understanding do hereby in ….................. and …........... of the …......... and authority given and …............. to me in and by a certain …......... ….............. ….......... the thirty first day of January last past and made ….......... the said Robert Chaplin and me the said Elizabeth his wife by my addition therein mentioned of the one part and John Ansell of Hadleigh in the said county draper of the other part and of a fine levied in …............. of the said …........... and in …........... and ….................. of the ….................. and authority given and …................ to me in and by certain ….............sometime …....... made and passed by the said Robert Chaplin and myself of and comprising certain copyhold lands ….............. …................... and premises to the use of my will and by …........ and ….......... of all and every other …........... and authority and authorities in mw being or …............ me …............ make publish and …............ this my last Will and Testament in …......... and …............ following that is to say first …............. limit (?) appoint give and devise unto my youngest son Robert Chaplin all that freehold …........... or tenement situate in Lindsey …........... …............ in the County of Suffolk aforesaid with the buildings yards gardens orchards lands meadows pastures …............ and appurtenaces whatsoever to the same belonging or in …............ appertaining and now or late in the …........... of the said Robert Chaplin my husband George Harthing and also all and singular my copyhold lands …............ ….................... and premises …........... of the several manors of …......... and Linsey alias Lillesley with this and every of their rights ….................... and appurtenaces and all other my freehold and copyhold …............ and premises unto my said son Robert Chaplin his heirs and assigns for ever subject to the estate …............ …............. and interest ….......... my said husband has of in and to the freehold part of the aforesaid premises by …................. of the aforesaid ….......... and fine and I do hereby subject and …................ all and singular the said freehold and copyhold lands tenements …......... and premises to and with the payment of the sum of six hundred and …...... pounds of lawful money of Great Britain the same to be paid to my said son Robert Chaplin or his heirs executors administrators or ….......... within …............. calendar months next after my decease …............ I give and bequeath unto my son William Green Chaplin the sum of six hundred pounds to Mary Sark wife of Thomas Sark of Colchester of Essex …... dealer the sum of five pounds and to my said husbands wife Mrs Rachel Woodgate of Brent Eleigh in the said County of Suffolk the sum of five pounds and in last the said legacies or any or either of them or any part thereof respectively shall be in arrear or unpaid by the part of three calendar months next after the same shall become one and payable then it shall and may be lawful for …....... I do hereby authorize and empower my said son William Green Chaplin and the said two other legators or any or either of them as the ….......... may enquire …........... into and upon the said …............... lands tenements ….......... and premises ….......... therewith as aforesaid or any part thereof in the name of the …............ and to have hold use occupy possess and enjoy the same and receive and ….......... the rents …............... and profits thereof and also to ….............. and sell the effects found upon the said premises as in ….......... of rent in arrear until the …......... or that shall be fully paid and satisfied the said …................. or any or either of them together with legal interest for the same and all costs ….......... and expenses attending such entry and non payment and I do hereby nominate constitute and appoint my said husband and my said son Robert Chaplin executors of my last Will and Testament In witness here the said Elizabeth Chaplin have hereunto set my hand and seal seventeenth day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixteen – Elizabeth Chaplin – signed sealed published and declared they the said Elizabeth Chaplin the Testator as and for her last Will and Testament in the presence of us who in her presence at her request and in the presence of each other habe hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses – Rt Offord – Henry Offored – Desborough Walford all of ….......................

On the 3rd April 1826 admon with the Will ….......... of all and singular the goods chattels credits of Elizabeth Chaplin the before wife of Robert Chaplin late of Monks Eleigh in the Co. of Suffolk …................ …................... was granted to Robert Chaplin the natural lawful son surviving Exor named in the said Will having been first sworn by Canon …................. to admr William Green Chaplin the only other natural and lawful heir with the said Robert Chaplin the only ….......... who would …............. …................... in distribution to the personal estate effects of the ….............. ….......... in …............ she had died Intestate having first …............... as by …..................... of ….................. ….......................
Old 11-10-10, 13:56

Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 11-10-10 at 14:00.
Old 11-10-10, 14:09
Administrator

Quote:
do hereby in ….................. and …........... of the …......... and authority given and …............. to me in
do hereby in pursuance and exerciseof the power and authority given and reserved to me in

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-10-10, 14:12
Administrator

Quote:
a certain …......... ….............. ….......... the
a certain indenture bearing date the

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-10-10, 14:13
Administrator

Quote:
made ….......... the said Robert Chaplin
made between the said Robert Chaplin

Old 11-10-10, 14:14
Administrator

Quote:
fine levied in …............. of the said
fine levied in persuance of the said

Old 11-10-10, 14:15
Administrator

Quote:
said …........... and in …........... and ….................. of
said indenture and in persuance and exercise of

Oooh, dear, I have to go out now! pmsl

Old 11-10-10, 15:13

thank you
Old 11-10-10, 16:33
Administrator

Quote:
the ….................. and authority given and …................ to me in and by certain ….............sometime …....... made and passed by the said Robert Chaplin
the power and authority given and reserved to me in and by certain surrenders sometime since made and passed by the said Robert Chaplin

Out again!