Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-09-10, 10:13

Default cant find Henry & Maria in 1881

My great x 2 grandmother Agnes Irons had two half siblings from her mother's first marriage.

They were Henry Fletcher born 1868c and Maria Fletcher born 1869c, both in Heanor, Derbyshire. Henry & Maria were baptised together at Heanor, St Lawrence on the 4th September 1870. They were children of Alfred Fletcher & Elizabeth nee Berrisford. Alfred died early 1870 aged 24. I have founded widowed Elizabeth and the two children on the 1871 census in Heanor.

Elizabeth marries Eli Irons in 1874 in Dronfield and on the 1881 census, there is no sign of the two Fletcher children. Until today, I had assumed (I know, should never assume) both the children had died as I couldnt find anything related to them at all.

Today, however, I got a match on ancestry for a WW1 record for Henry Fletcher born 1868c in Heanor, Derbyshire. I looked at this record and although it said it was a WW1 record, the record gave details of Henry's time in the army from 1883 to 1889. It gave his next of kin as; mother, Elizth Hirons of Coxons Yard, Draycott, Derbyshire. I think this is probably a mistranscription of Elizabeth Irons which would be correct as she was known as this now in 1883.

As this is likely to be Henry, I am wondering where Henry & possibly Maria were in 1881. I have searched Ancestry and not found a likely match for either of them. Maria still could have died.

Elizabeth Irons/Fletcher/Berrisford was in Selston, Notts in 1881 with Eli and three of her children to that marriage. In 1891, she was in Treflis, Wales, with three children whilst Eli was in Derbyshire.

Any help on the 1881 census would be very much appreciated.