Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-05-10, 19:12

Default Interesting Death Certificates, and the stories behind them?

Hello people, it's so long since I have been on site that I am not even sure if this is the right place to put this!

Anyway, I have just more or less finished another line of the family and was trawling through all the Death Certs in my folder. A few of them are a break from the run of the mill Consumption etc., and I have tried to imagine the story behind them. For instance:

One chap, from a wealthy background and with a wife and 9 children took to the drink in a serious way, and finally died of the DT's in a Workhouse. Did the fact that his parents and three of his siblings died in rapid succession, followed by the emigration of the rest of his siblings drive him to the bottle? Certainly, before the others emigrated they sold off the family business, and as he was the only one still interested in working in the business then perhaps he was outvoted.

One of my husband's ancestors cut his throat after his first wife died (Consumption of course!), followed by a disastrous affair that produced a child, followed by an equally disastrous marriage. He then discovered that he had cancer, and ended his life in a dingy room.

There are more, but I wondered what other people have lurking in their certificates, and what they have managed to piece together.