Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-11-21, 16:21

Default Missing on census 1881 and 1891

I have a Francis Winfil Paton born 1875 in Glasgow on the 1901 census and 1911 census but cannot find him any earlier or his parents.

1901 - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...d=362214674090

Frank Paton 26 Head born Glasgow living in Morroes, Angus
Agnes Paton 29 Wife
and children

1911 he is with his wife Agnes and children in Dundee but gives his age as 39 and was born in Brechin (red herring?).

His Army record on 9th March 1915 gives his age as 39 and 330 days and says born in Glasgow. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...41?pId=1533743

According to his marriage certificate in 1891 he gives his age as 20 and his father as Alexander Paton, a ploughman (deceased) and his mother Isabella Hampton (deceased).

However according to his death certificate in 1949 his age is given as 76 and his father as Francis Winfil Paton a florist and mother Isabella Hampton.

Now I haven't been able to find a birth for a Francis W Paton but did find a birth for a Francis Winfield born 1 March 1875 in Blackfriars Glasgow parents being Francis Winfield and Isabella Hampton both artificial flower makers and not married.

I did find a death for a Francis Winfied in St Giles, Edinburgh in 1894 who was an artificial flower maker and supposedly married to Ann McGinnes? but no marriage found.

Am I going wrong with this and if not how did he get the name Paton?

I've been trying to find Francis Winfil Paton, Alexander Paton, Francis Winfield or Isabella Hampton on census's but without luck.

Can anyone help please?