Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 28-09-17, 11:44

Default Moult of Chinley - a tangled web

Thomas Moult, OH's 8x-great-grandfather, died and was buried at Mottram-in-Longdendale, Cheshire. (Burial 23rd January 1720/21)

However, he came from the Chinley area (Chinley is in the parish of Glossop).

His will states :
"Item I give & bequeath to my Son John my cofer standing in the house
in Chinley"

Thomas had the following children:
Sarah, who married Higham Hollinworth (OH's 7x-great-grandparents). They lived at Mottram-in-Longdendale.
John, who married Susanna (Goodyer from Mottram-in-Longdendale, father Thomas)
Thomas, who married Elizabeth Grantham.

I have also noted a William, but need to find the evidence for this.

Another family - Moult of Eccles
http://www.derbyshirelife.co.uk/home...hire-1-1631059

The two families are most probably related.

"That aside, an estate here seems to have come into the hands of the Mold, or as later spelt, Moult, family as early as the 13th century. Here I have been much aided by the researches of a descendant, who claims for them kinship with Sir Roger de Montalt, seneschal of the Earls of Chester, although in nearly all Derbyshire charters known to me his interests seem to lie further south, at Rosliston and Walton-on-Trent.

Certainly, by the time of the Hearth Tax in 1670, there were several farming families of this name in NW Derbyshire and a Robert Mold is attested as of Bradshaw Edge in a charter of 1345, and two at Eccles in the 1381 Poll Tax.

Eccles House as such reaches the record in 1509 when it came to Thomas Molte and the will is extant of another Thomas, of Eccles, in 1578. It was probably then a simple stone built farmhouse, for John Moult was taxed on just two hearths there in 1670.

In late March 1683, apparently, Thomas Moult of Eccles and his young son both died of cholera, leaving a daughter and heiress who later married German, son of German Buxton, a third son of the Brassington branch of that family. He is said to have rebuilt and enlarged the house, no doubt to reflect his status, for the Moults were never then of greater status than yeomen, and their name is conspicuously absent from the Heralds' Visitations of the County, unlike the Buxtons. He also purchased land to build up an estate around the house.

German's son William died unmarried, the heir being his sister Martha, married to a probable kinsman, Thomas Moult of Chinley. Moult seems to have been an amateur craftsman of some talent, if a pedimented breakfront bookcase, included in the 1983 house sale, is anything to go by - he is said to have made it from oak felled on the estate.

Thomas Moult died in 1751, leaving another under-age heiress, Sarah, then but four. She is said to have met and fallen in love with her future husband, Thomas Goodman, when as a teenager, she called at the local pub for supplies and he was staying there, en route for a cousin's house in Manchester, a fugitive from debt. They married at Chapel-en-le-Frith on 2nd December 1765, by licence, Sarah being still under age. Her mother is said to have been ignorant of George's alleged circumstances until after the marriage, a fact which I find highly unlikely, given the positively forensic attention such matters merited in that era!"

tbc

Last edited by ElizabethHerts; 28-09-17 at 18:57. Reason: additional information added
Old 28-09-17, 12:03

The Thomas Moult who died in 1751 was connected to OH's family. His daughter, Sarah, who married Thomas Goodman, in mentioned in the will of John Moult, Surgeon, of Rochdale. Also mentioned was OH's 6x-great-grandmother, Sarah, maiden name Hollingworth, but then Hyde (she married Abel Hyde in 1730).
Old 28-09-17, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post

"German's son William died unmarried, the heir being his sister Martha, married to a probable kinsman, Thomas Moult of Chinley. Moult seems to have been an amateur craftsman of some talent, if a pedimented breakfront bookcase, included in the 1983 house sale, is anything to go by - he is said to have made it from oak felled on the estate.

Thomas Moult died in 1751, leaving another under-age heiress, Sarah, then but four. She is said to have met and fallen in love with her future husband, Thomas Goodman, when as a teenager, she called at the local pub for supplies and he was staying there, en route for a cousin's house in Manchester, a fugitive from debt. They married at Chapel-en-le-Frith on 2nd December 1765, by licence, Sarah being still under age. Her mother is said to have been ignorant of George's alleged circumstances until after the marriage, a fact which I find highly unlikely, given the positively forensic attention such matters merited in that era!"[/B]
I haven't been able to find the marriage between Thomas Moult and Martha Buxton to verify this.
Old 28-09-17, 12:39

A lot of the records I have found are from Chinley Independent Chapel.

This looks like the burial of Martha, Thomas Moult's wife (formerly Buxton):
First name(s) Martha
Last name Moult
Birth year -
Death year 1774
Death date ? ? 1774
Burial year 1774
Burial date 16 Aug 1774
Place Chinley
Denomination Independent
Spouse's first name Thomas
County Derbyshire
Country England
The National Archives reference TNA/RG/4/496
Description DERBYSHIRE: Chinley (Independent): Deaths & Burials
Record set England & Wales Non-Conformist Burials
Old 28-09-17, 13:10
Administrator

And here's Sarah, Thomas and Martha's daughter. Unhelpful lack of mother's forename on this record!

Name: Sarah Moult
Baptism Date: 15 Oct 1748
Baptism Place: Independent,Chinley,Derby,England
Father: Thomas Moult

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 28-09-17, 13:20
Administrator

I had wondered if Miss Buxton had been Mrs Someone-else before she married Thomas Moult (can't help thinking of Ted!), but as I can't see any marriages to any Martha that's pretty irrelevant!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 28-09-17, 13:25

Thanks, Merry.

The image on FMP for the burial of Martha Moult is helpful in that it confirms that her husband's father was John Moult.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco.../RG4/BUR/85536

"Martha Moult widow of Thomas Moult the eldest son of John Moult of Chinley Naze.."
Old 28-09-17, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I had wondered if Miss Buxton had been Mrs Someone-else before she married Thomas Moult (can't help thinking of Ted!), but as I can't see any marriages to any Martha that's pretty irrelevant!
Apparently Ted Moult was a descendant of this family! OH's parents knew him when they lived in Staffordshire!
Old 28-09-17, 13:30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
Thanks, Merry.

The image on FMP for the burial of Martha Moult is helpful in that it confirms that her husband's father was John Moult.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco.../RG4/BUR/85536

"Martha Moult widow of Thomas Moult the eldest son of John Moult of Chinley Naze.."
I wish all burials had that sort of information!

lol re Ted!!

Old 28-09-17, 14:16

The children of John Moult of Chinley Naze are all given here:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...nSearchResults