Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 21-12-16, 21:45
Administrator

Default Who Do You Think You Are - Ricky Tomlinson 22nd Dec

On BBC1 at 8 p.m., and repeated (with signing) Tues 27th / Wed 28th at 2:25 a.m. on BBC2.

After this episode there is a Christmas break.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 22-12-16, 04:55
Administrator

Oh dear. Can't stand him ...

Old 22-12-16, 09:50

Nor me ...
Old 22-12-16, 12:33

Neither can I...
Old 22-12-16, 13:21

I hadn't liked David Dickinson until his WDYTYA, and liked Anne Reid until I saw hers so will wait & see about Ricky T.
Old 22-12-16, 14:09

I really like Ricky Tomlinson
Old 22-12-16, 16:51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
I really like Ricky Tomlinson
Ah good, now I can agree with someone!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-12-16, 20:09

Really enjoyed that. He's down to earth. My sort of bloke. Can't be doing with pretentious types.
Old 22-12-16, 20:16
Administrator

Thought it was a bit dull - no real meat on the bones. Interesting from a social history point of view if you weren't already aware of how it was for the poor.

Didn't find him as irritating as I normally do, perhaps because he was just being himself and sincere and not loud and "on show" as he can be on chat shows.

Old 22-12-16, 22:05
Administrator

Episode synopsis:
Ricky Tomlinson lives in Liverpool with his wife Rita. He was born in 1939, the second of four children of Albert and Margaret Tomlinson. His father died at the age of 55.

Ricky met up with his elder brother Albert at Everton Park, which has replaced the streets where they used to live. Albert showed him an old photo of their paternal grandparents, and the death certificate of their grandfather, Richard Tomlinson, age 60, an asphalter's labourer. He also showed him Albert sr and Margaret's marriage certificate from May 1936, which gave Richard's occupation as carter.

Ricky went to Liverpool Central Library to meet a genealogist who showed him Richard's baptism record, which stated that his parents were Richard and Sarah Tomlinson, Richard sr's occupation also carter.

Richard sr's birth certificate from 1847 showed that his parents were William Tomlinson and Mary nee Leicester, with William's occupation also carter. Their marriage certificate from 1845 showed both their residences as Hill Street, and his father as Richard Tomlinson, carter.

Ricky found out about working conditions for carters in the early 19th century.
He was shown a report in the local paper from 1839 of the death of Mr Richard Tomlinson, cart-owner, age 60, who was crushed between his cart and a lorry. This was Ricky's 3xg-grandfather.

Ricky met an historian at the docks, who showed him the 1851 census entry for William and Mary with 4 of their eventual total of 7 children, living at Aegea Street, in a suburban area. The local paper from 1 Sep 1859 reported on the death of William Tomlinson, age 40, who was crushed to death between his cart-wheel and a pile of staves. The report said that his widow had to go home to her baby, who was also dying. The jury complained (i.e. upheld a complaint from the widow) that the surgeon had "opened William's body" (i.e. carried out a post-mortem) without permission. William was buried 4 Sep 1859 in a common grave. The death certificate of George Tomlinson, age 2, showed that he died on the 11th Sep 1859 of diarrhoea.

Ricky looked online at the 1861 census, where Mary was living at 13 Stuart's Building, Everton, age 35, with six children, the oldest of whom were working as seamstresses and errand boys, the youngest "scholars". There were several lodgers also listed at the address.
Ricky went to see where Stuart's Building was but it had been demolished. However, he got to see a similar building, "court and cellar dwellings".

The researcher couldn't find Mary on the 1871 census. Ricky went to Liverpool Archives, where he was told that there was no record of Mary in the workhouse records, but that the Industrial School records showed that her daughter Mary Ann, age 7, and son Thomas, age 9, were admitted in 1862, "deserted by mother".

A marriage certificate from 1871 showed that Mary, a 44-year-old widow, married John McFee, age 40, a bachelor. On the 1871 census the couple had three children, the eldest being 9 years old, so born about the time that Thomas and Mary Ann went into the industrial school.

Ricky was then shown the 1884 marriage certificate of his great-grandparents: Richard Tomlinson, widower, carter, and Sarah Ann Lavery. One of the witnesses was William McFee. Mary died in the same year, of a stroke.

The 1890 Liverpool Review reported that the carters were forming a union.

The 1911 census showed Richard Tomlinson, age 64, with his family, living at 31 Elias Street.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update