Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-12-16, 17:23
Administrator

Default Elizabeth Lowder

I'm looking at the will of John Lowder Esqr of Bath, banker, written on the 25th May 1802 and proved at the PCC 19 Jul 1810. He mentions his wife Ann, who was nee Ann Glass, daughter of Dr Thomas Glass of Exeter (they married 1 May 1778 at St Mary Arches, Exeter). Then his daughters Elizabeth Kay, the wife of William Kay of Rochdale, Cotton Manufacturer, and Mary Ann Lees, the wife of John Lees of Fairfield, Lancashire, merchant. Then any other children. A codicil from 1806 mentions that his son John Lowder was now married.

On FreeREG they have 27 Aug 1799 at St Swithin, Walcot, Bath, John Lees of the County of Lancaster married Mariaine Lowder, by licence, and then 1 Jan 1802 at the same church, William Kay, bachelor, of Rochdale, married Elizabeth Lowder, spinster, also by licence.

I have found baptisms for children of John and Ann Lowder listed on FMP and FamilySearch at Southampton St Lawrence & St John: Thomas Glass Lowder 1779, Mary Ann 1780, John 3 Nov 1781 (or 1782?) and William 20 Nov 1783.

But can anyone find Elizabeth's baptism, please? I'm not sure whether she was born after 1783, making her pretty young when she got married, or if she was born before 1779, either very soon after John and Ann's wedding, or was she John's daughter by a previous marriage? The fact that she is mentioned before Mary Ann in the will suggests that she was the elder of the two.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-12-16, 20:49
Administrator

John Lowder's death is reported in the Bristol Mirror 26 May 1810. He was aged 72.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-12-16, 20:58
Administrator

Is Miss Glass your relation? (I'm thinking Glasscodine, or however it's spelled)

She is described as "an agreeable young lady with a genteel fortune and every qualification to render the marriage state happy" in the Hampshire Chronicle 11 May 1778

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-12-16, 21:22
Administrator

No luck with that bap at the moment

Old 05-12-16, 21:29

I can't find her either, Kate.
Old 05-12-16, 21:33

Any chance of finding the marriage bond/allegation, which should give Elizabeth's age?
Old 05-12-16, 21:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
John Lowder's death is reported in the Bristol Mirror 26 May 1810. He was aged 72.
Thanks, Merry. So, quite likely he was married before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Is Miss Glass your relation? (I'm thinking Glasscodine, or however it's spelled)

She is described as "an agreeable young lady with a genteel fortune and every qualification to render the marriage state happy" in the Hampshire Chronicle 11 May 1778
And thanks for that too!

Strangely enough, Ann Glass is from a side-branch of my Grandpa's tree - her mother was one of Sir Nathaniel Hodges' daughters, sister to my Frances Hodges - yet she ended up living round the corner from my Granny's Glass / Glasscodine ancestors, and was buried in the same churchyard as them! I'm sure there can't be any connection between the two families, but I'm sure that in a couple of years if someone asks me about Ann Glass and I look her up on my tree and see her burial place, I will assume she is from the other family and get mightily confused!

Thanks for looking, Elizabeth and Mary. I'll see if there is a way of getting the bond and / or allegation.

Old 05-12-16, 22:23
Administrator

The London Gazette has an entry in 1807 which refers to William Kay as late of Rochdale, now of Manchester. Wondering whether I can find Elizabeth's death or burial record to see her age at death, though it might be a needle in a haystack.

Old 05-12-16, 22:43
Administrator

John Lowder jr's will (1829) mentions a brother Charles Lowder. I am guessing that he is younger than John jr as he wasn't mentioned by name in their father's will.

Old 06-12-16, 05:44
Administrator

Someone on Rootschat said something about reading that JL had been a commander in the Navy before his marriage, but I haven't seen anything to confirm that.