Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-03-16, 02:36

Default Have I made a mistake in my tree ?

Several years ago, I confirmed that my great-grandfathers sister, Harriet Page (born 1847 Corley, Warwickshire) married Edwin Carver (b 1840 Handsworth, Staffordshire) on 18 Jul 1877 at All Saints, Hockley, Birmingham.

Both their fathers Reuben Page and John Carver were joiners/builders and I traced them in several census. The marriage witnesses were Reuben Page and Emily Ager - Emily is Harriet's maternal first cousin.

When I traced Edwin Carver, his mother is Harriet, born about 1814/5 in Milson Shropshire - its a fairly specific location, a small village, you would hardly choose it as a POB if it wasn't true.

John Carver was born about 1811 in Weobly Herefordshire. I found a marriage for John Carver and Harriet Page in 1834 in Swindon, Gloucestershire. I thought that was a bit far away, but maybe okay, their son John was born in 1838, and they later lived in Cheltenham.

However, I have now found an image for the marriage record, and the witnesses make me think I have the wrong marriage - they were Mary Page and Edward Page, but I have found no-one called Edward Page so far.
I cannot find any other marriage for John Carver and any Harriet, nor for Harriet Page to anyone else.

So I always thought that the younger Harriet Page married her cousin, Edwin Carver, but now that may not be true.

Harriet Page, the daughter of Richard and Ann, was baptised in Milson Shropshire 24 April 1814, the same day as her brother John Page. There do not appear to be any other Harriets baptised in Milson around the right year. Her siblings were baptised from Clee to Burrington Herefordshire and Ludford and Hope Bagot.

Does anyone have an idea of how to work out who Harriet, mother of Edwin Carver, might really be ? Will Edwins birth certificate give her maiden name ?

I am going back to the census to see if I can find Edward and Mary Page (if they were in fact husband and wife)

Di

Last edited by marquette; 17-03-16 at 03:51.