Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-01-16, 16:10

Default Blank Space for Father on Marriage Cert

Hi All,

I know that generally a blank space in the name of father box on a marriage cert means that the person was illegitimate, but has anyone had this when it was known that a child was legitimately born?

I'm asking because my great grandfather did this but my nan's story for this was because his parents had disowned him as he had to chose between the family and his wife to be as they felt she was beneath him. Now I did think that this was an elaborate cover story for his illegitimacy but my nan also gave information about the few of his siblings she had very occasionally met and I have found a family in Sheffield which perfectly fits the people she has described etc.

I have previously asked numerous times about this man as I have no real info on him from his birth cert (which I believe I have the right one but its 4 years before he claimed he was born on his marriage cert / 1939 register) and when he marries in 1917. I do who I believe his him on the 1901 census. He is missing on the 1911. You've all kindly looked for him before.

He is Charles Henry Jones and this is the Take 1 Great Grandparent thread I had for him a number of years back.

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...es+henry+jones

I just still feel something is off with this man. I have followed the family who fit my nan's stories and they fit perfectly with the information she gave but I just cannot feel 100% sure.