Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 12-02-15, 18:26

Default Never seen that before.

Roaming through marriage rgisters on LAN-OPC, I came across a couple married on 16 October 1816 in the RC church. A marginal note says "legally married 19 October" and that marriage is recorded in the parish church.

I did know that often there were two marriages but I have never seen them cross referenced like this before.

OC
Old 13-02-15, 00:07

Was the bride under-age perhaps, so that they had to get remarried when she was older ?
Old 13-02-15, 08:14

No, it isn't that, it is because the RC marriage was not a legal marriage at that time. It would have been a nuptial mass.

OC
Old 13-02-15, 09:09

I don't have any RCs (only maybe some Irish) so I forget that RC marriages weren't legal. I have lots of dissenters who would have been in the same boat though.
Old 13-02-15, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
No, it isn't that, it is because the RC marriage was not a legal marriage at that time. It would have been a nuptial mass.

OC
I think that still stands. I've been to two RC weddings: the registrar was in attendance at the first (in the vestry with the door open so that she could hear the necessary responses) and then many years later to the marriage service for the daughter of the above couple. As the younger pair had already had a civil and legally recognised wedding overseas, the church service was merely an internal (but lengthy) RC affair and there was no registrar in attendance.

Jay
Old 14-02-15, 06:21

Of course, while an RC or non-conformist register might note what they would have regarded as a civil marriage, the Anglican church would never have returned the compliment!
Old 14-02-15, 06:42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
I think that still stands. I've been to two RC weddings: the registrar was in attendance at the first (in the vestry with the door open so that she could hear the necessary responses) and then many years later to the marriage service for the daughter of the above couple. As the younger pair had already had a civil and legally recognised wedding overseas, the church service was merely an internal (but lengthy) RC affair and there was no registrar in attendance.

Jay
All C of E clergyman are automatically entitled to act as the legal Registrar, as well as the church’s official witness. However, Roman Catholic priests are not always licensed to perform marriage ceremonies, so a registrar may need to be present. So, presumably the first marriage you attended was performed by an unlicensed priest.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-02-15, 08:48

Oh, that's reminded me - I once went to a vestry wedding! the couple were RC and had had an RC ceremony but to legalise it another ceremony had to be performed in the parish church (C of E), not at the altar but in the vestry to satisfy their religious need not to be involved with the C of E!

I cannot now remember if the wording of the ceremony was any different to the "full English", lol - anyone know?

OC
Old 14-02-15, 13:25

No idea, but I wonder why they didn't just go to the Registry Office?
Old 14-02-15, 18:30

That's a good point Mary! I've no idea.

OC