Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 23-09-14, 20:36

Default Help with dating images

Please could I have some opinions on these two images ? I'd like to know if you think they could be of the same person and an approximate date based on the clothing. They are copies, so I don't know their original formats (which I realise could have helped date the photograph). Apologies if you've seen me ask this elsewhere - I'm casting my net wide.

Thanks, Rick.
Old 23-09-14, 20:55

I'm sure we've discussed wing-tip collars on here before, lol.

The collar is a Gladstone (wing tip worn with an ascot acarf). Gladstone 1809-1898 of course, but I don't suppose everyone immediately threw away their Gladstone collars when Gladstone died. (Wing tip collars originally worn by barristers in England).

The drawing - which isn't very good IMHO - could be the same man or a close relative, but the mouth is wrong. That may just be a lack of drawing skill though.

To make a wild, wild guess at the date of the photo........some time after the 1880s!

OC
Old 23-09-14, 21:06

If the photo has been correctly labelled, then he was indeed a solicitor.
Old 23-09-14, 21:19

I'm worried about the sleeve style, puffed at the shoulder. I really cannot date that. It seems to be more Regency style than Victorian.

Clean shaven dates to late 1880s at the earliest. Before that, the fashion was for beards and mustaches and sideburns - lots of facial hair.

OC
Old 23-09-14, 21:24

Reminds me strongly of Schubert. Perhaps it's the glasses!
Old 23-09-14, 21:24
Administrator

I feel the photo is earlier - maybe 1850/60s. It looks like an ambrotype as the image is in reverse (see the buttons and buttonholes on the waistcoat).

His clothing style and hair looks similar to the man at the back left in first photo on this page:

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/gallery.php

I'm no expert though!!

I think there's a good chance the pictures are the same man.

EDIT: I think if you did some research you might find something about the way the sleeves are set into the coat - almost puffed - not very masculine and so possibly not fashionable for too long??? Might help with more accurate dating.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-09-14, 21:30

Thanks - keep the opinions coming please !! I have more information, including my thoughts on the clothes (puffy sleeves, high collar, style of cravat), but I don't want to influence things at this stage. I've been looking up the history of photography (thanks google) and daguerrotypes were also mirror images
Old 23-09-14, 21:37

I can't find much about men's puffed sleeves (except for a rather odd site!). I think Merry may be right and the photo is earlier than the 1880s.

OC
Old 23-09-14, 21:44
Administrator

Sorry Rick, I missed your post about the puffed sleeves!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-09-14, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
I can't find much about men's puffed sleeves (except for a rather odd site!). I think Merry may be right and the photo is earlier than the 1880s.

OC
The mind boggles !!