Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 06-09-14, 23:23
Administrator

Default Going on a tangent with the comfy chair!

You may still need the comfy chair (see the earlier thread!)

I am trying to find information on Alfred John Clare Maison Hazlewood, who I think may be the brother of Marie Maison (any number of surnames) who I am looking for on the other thread.

Alfred John Clare Maison Hazlewood, eldest son of Levy Maison Hazlewood of Wolverhampton Staffs, married Louisa Alexandra Stainton in Christ Church Cathedral Newcastle Australia 13 July 1887.

Marie Maison says her father is Leon Maison at one of her many marriages, but she names a number of others as her father at other marriages.

Alf ends up with a second wife (can't find that marriage) Violet May nee Blewett. Their son was a witness at the marriage of one of the sons of Marie Maison from the other thread.

Alfred died in Australia in 1931 and that death reg gives his birth as c 1862.
He tried to enlist in the Australian army in 1916, said he was b in Wolverhampton Staffs saying he was b 1872, he was discharged a few days later as too old so I think they worked out he was somewhat older than he claimed, his age is now 56! He did sign Mason and not Maison on the papers and he did say he had served 3 years in the Sth Staffordshire Volunteers.

I think that Alfred is possibly the brother of Marie Maison and that they both toured together in various companies, Alf was a tenor, and I believe became a piano tuner and appears as such on Australian electoral rolls, and Marie was a soprano.

However if he is as truthful as his sister, then this may all be a story as well! I have tried all sorts of ways to try and find Alf or his father with no luck so far. Anyone else want to try???

Pretty please?

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 07-09-14, 06:52
Administrator

I spent a lot of time going nowhere with the other thread yesterday, so at least I didn't need to read that again!!

I'm wondering about this family in 1861:

Dawley Green Shropshire.

Levi Mason head mar 36 b Staffs Wolverhampton
Margaret Mason wife mar 26 (??) b Staffs Bilston
Mary Mason dau 2 b Staffs somewhere-I-can't identify

Before I went and fetched my glasses I thought the occs said comedian and comedian's wife, but now I can see, I'm wondering if that was wishful thinking!!

I know a Margaret (Price/Roberts?) may have been Mary's mother and that Mary was b abt 1859 but that wasn't supposed to be in Staffs!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-09-14, 07:00
Administrator

Quote:
somewhere-I-can't identify
Oh, it does say Moxley, as I had thought, but Parloc hasn't heard of it! It's in Darlaston Staffs which is Walsall district.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-09-14, 07:26
Administrator

I found that one this afternoon Merry and got quite excited. I think it says comedian as well, but I may also be just hopeful. There are some newspaper reports of Levi Mason associated with theatre. I am hanging on to them and hoping something else will match. Marie did say her parents were Leon and Margaret at one of her marriages.

I have looked for all combinations of Mason marriages with Hazlewood and Roberts and all the combinations of names that Mary/Marie used, but no luck so far!

They seem to vanish before and after the census though.

and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 07-09-14, 07:32
Administrator

Actually, what I forgot to say is that the son of Alfred Clare Maison Hazlewood was one of the witnesses at the marriage of the son of "Marie Maison" and her last husband, Gianini, The marriage was taken by her son born just before her second marriage, to Forder. Both sons used the surname of the third (so far ) husband Hamilton.

So somewhere there is a link!

(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 07-09-14, 10:32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Before I went and fetched my glasses I thought the occs said comedian and comedian's wife, but now I can see, I'm wondering if that was wishful thinking!!
It seems to say Comeadiean, so could well be supposed to be Comedian. Isn't the boarder in the previous household (George Lees) a Tragedian? Although they are listed as separate households, they are in the same house.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-09-14, 12:04
Administrator

Quote:
Tragedian
Ah, so that's what it said! I was trying to make it something appropriate, but was put off by the other boarder being a miner!

Old 07-09-14, 20:13
Administrator

I have a good feeling about these people! Looking through Gale, Levi Mason and Mrs Mason seem to both be associated with theatre, I cannot find George Lees, the tragedian lodger in the same lists of casts though.

Now I just need to find the Hazlewood connection, maybe another husband for Margaret, and if there is any truth in Marie's list of fathers, he will be Charles Henry or Henry Charles.

Am still stumped on where she gets Roberts from as her name for her first marriage, and Price for a mother's maiden name.

(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 07-09-14, 20:30
Administrator

Ooooo in 1877 there is a Henry Charles Hazlewood who is manager of the Theatre Royal and Prince of Wales Concert Hall Wolverhampton!!

Update: I think he is actually Henry Colin Hazlewood, he is on the 1871 census as Henry C and the 1891 as Henry Colin. Married to Ruth all that time, and part of a big theatre family, his father is in the National Dictionary of Biography and a son and daughter in law were famous performers in their time.

(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 07-09-14, 21:48
Administrator

It's confusing as there's the HC Hazlewood on the 1871 and 1881 census married to Ruth and with (amongst others) a son Henry C b abt 1861 in Birmingham. Then there's this person who died in 1875:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Henry_Hazlewood

There's a death reg in Shoreditch for him.