Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 06-08-14, 21:56
geniebug

Default Anyone have Ancestry?

I am trying to help my cousin's daughter in Perth, to find her great grandparents in Scotland. They are going over to Scotland next month, and would like to do the usual cemetery and look for the houses their ancestors lived in. They tell me they think someone on Ancestry has done it, but I don't have a sub. If anyone does, can they find the following

(My uncle) William Merrylea Mitchell b 30 July 1903 (family living in Hazelbank Place Cathcart, Paisley, Renf.)
Alexander Mitchell b. 1905 (family living in Carfin St Cathcart, Paisley, Renf.)
Jean Henderson Mitchell b. 1908 (family living in Carfin St Cathcart, Paisley, Renf.)

Their parents Alexander Mitchell and Jane Henderson Crum. I am aware Alexander Mitchell remarried in Perth, but we are only interested in the Scottish side.
Old 06-08-14, 22:19
geniebug

I have just discovered that Jane Henderson Crum was the daughter of the late Mr Wm Crum, and although born in Scotland, lived the greater portion of her life in Dunoon, Argyleshlre, Scotland, where she was for many years in the employ of Messrs. William Maltham and Co, (fishmongers), She returned to Glasgow on her marriage.

So the marriage may have occurred in Argyleshire (I have no idea where that is) - but as their first child was born in 1903, I guess the wedding would have taken place around then.

Last edited by geniebug; 06-08-14 at 22:34.
Old 07-08-14, 06:46
Administrator

There's a marriage for Jane Henderson Crum on ScotlandsPeople in 1900. I don't have any credit on there to look at it though.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-08-14, 07:18
geniebug

Thanks Merry for finding that, I couldn't find it anywhere. I'll look it up.

It's a start!
Old 07-08-14, 08:43

In 1901, Jane H Crumb was recorded at Stopework House, Queen Street, Dunoon. She was a 24-year-old book keeper living with her aunt, Mary Campbell - a 72-year-old shop keeper. Both women were born in Lanarkshire.

Argyll/Argyllshire is a huge Scottish county - stretching from the outskirts of Glasgow to the islands.

Dunoon is on a peninsula and, at the time, people would have reached it by taking a ferry from Gourock. The crossing is about 20 minutes.
Old 07-08-14, 09:02
Administrator

Shona, does that mean there might be two of them, or might she just be listed under her maiden surname?

I didn't look for any other spelling than Crum when I search SP for a marriage

If that is her and not with her husband then finding his side of the tree will be impossible without their marriage cert, won't it? (I'm not clued up on Scottish research!)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-08-14, 09:32
geniebug

Thanks Shona, when you say she was "recorded" -I presume that wasn't a census, was it a sort of "list of persons in the area" sort of thing? Or am I wrong. She must have married that year then?

I did find a Margaret Henderson Crum b 14 April 1839
birth: Glasgow , Lanarkshire, Scotland
death: 11 February 1901 Sale, Victoria. Australia
marriage: 1858 Victoria, Australia.

Could be related somehow but not a sibling.

The age is right 924 yo. And there were a lot of Crums (without the b) from Lanarkshire.
Old 07-08-14, 10:23

Yes, it was the 1901 census. Merry, it wouldn't be unusual for Scottish women not to change their names. Someone needs to look at the image on SP. Also the image for the marriage. Scottish marriage records give the name of both parents and when they married.
Old 07-08-14, 10:53
geniebug

My cousins daughter has now got some credits (I had some but they expired, I was hoping they'd resurrect them for me).

She hasnt sent me any info on the certs yet, but she's found the following:

Marriage)
1 1902 MITCHELL Alexander CRUM Jane Henderson Kinning park Glasgow Cotu/Lanark 644/`4 0346

and then

this same entry came up 3 times
1881 Census
MITCHELL ALEXANDER M 33 Cathcart (Lanark) Glasgow City/Lanark 560/00 001/00022 & 004/00 040 & 008/009

I'll let you know what happens.
Old 07-08-14, 10:58

Jood - Scotland's People did allow people to reactive expired credits a few months back. I think I posted a thread on the subject. You could try to contact SP to ask them to reactive yours.