Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 14-07-14, 06:37

Default Did Willoughby die?

I am looking at a distant twig in my tree and I have Clarissa Winfield (daughter of Robert & Mary and born 14th April 1855 in Sheffield).

She married Willoughby Jennings at St Matthew, Sheffield on the 4th November 1877. I've found a burial of a child of Willoughby & Clarissa at the General Cemetery in Sheffield in February 1878 and he was 2 months old. Clarissa must have been almost ready for dropping when she married.

But after this, I have found no further trace of Willoughby. On the 1881 census, Clarissa Jennings is at the home of her parents at 66 Carver Street, Sheffield. She is listed as married. But on the 91 census, she's back to being called Clarissa Winfield and listed as unmarried. Clarissa marries again in 1897 in Sheffield. She does call herself Clarissa Jennings and states she is a widow but I have found nothing to suggest that Willoughby Jennings actually died.

Looking at census etc, Willoughby was born in Laughton en le Morthen in South Yorkshire in 1857. He was the son of William Jennings. Willoughby's occupation on the burial record for his son was a Confectioner.

Can anyone find what I can't, any proof that he actually died?

Last edited by BlueSavannah; 14-07-14 at 07:38. Reason: Typo
Old 14-07-14, 07:30

I might be being thick, but how can Willoughby Jennings be the son of William Willoughby??
Old 14-07-14, 07:34
Administrator

He is definitely dead by now, Claire! But I guess you mean proof that he died before Clarissa remarried? I can't see a death record at the moment but will keep looking.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 14-07-14, 07:39

Sorry Jess, that's a typo on my part. Should say William Jennings. Have changed that now.

Lol Kite. Yes, I mean did he die before Clarissa married again. I do wonder where he was on the 81 census because she does say she's married on that census but she's with her parents and I can't find him.
Old 14-07-14, 07:42

What was his occupation?
Old 14-07-14, 07:52

I've only got him as a Confectioner from the burial record of his son in 1878. His marriage info was from the Sheffield marriage transcriptions on FMP and it didn't give his occupation on there sadly. The marriage was only about 2/3 months before the son died so I guess it will likely say the same occupation.
Old 14-07-14, 19:27
Administrator

I spent quite a while looking earlier, but found nothing. I expect he vanished along with my Moses Attwood who was last seen in 1878 when he registered the birth of his daughter.

Maybe we just notice more when people with unusual names appear to vanish? If they are called John Smith we can just accept they are probably on the census/death index etc but we just can't recognise them!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-07-14, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Maybe we just notice more when people with unusual names appear to vanish? If they are called John Smith we can just accept they are probably on the census/death index etc but we just can't recognise them!
I would agree with that Merry. You would expect to find someone with a name like Willoughby Jennings even if it was badly transcribed. Also when they are born in a little village like Laughton en le Morthen.

Sounds like a shotgun wedding due to a baby about to make an appearance and then he did one rather quickly when he realised he didn't really want to be married to Clarissa. That or something special was happening in 1878 for men to disappear lol.

If he wasn't dead, then looks like Clarissa gave it about 20 years to make sure he wasn't coming back
Old 14-07-14, 20:42

I thought Willoughby was a girl's name? If he thought the same, might he have changed it?
Old 14-07-14, 20:44
Administrator

Talk about parallel families - my Moses was married to Jemima. Jemima also waited until 1897 to remarry! She said she was married in 1881 too, though she said she was a widow in 1891 (did she know that?). The sad but for Jemima was that she died within a few weeks of her second marriage.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010