Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 21-05-14, 19:48

Default FamilyTreeMaker and Ancestry

I googled a name I had come across on a tree on geni.com and one of the results was a link to some Public Member Photos & Scanned Documents on Ancestry uk. Clicking on the name of the person in the photo took me into the relevant tree.

Alongside the name of the tree, at the top of the page, it said "This tree is linked to FamilyTreeMaker". The tree owner had a standard Public Member Tree for the same family until a few days ago but it had been deleted.

The names in the FamilyTreeMaker tree do not show up in searches of Public Member Trees.

I wondered if anyone knew of a link to search the FamilyTreeMaker trees on Ancestry?
Old 22-05-14, 03:56

No I don't but I always thought if you uploaded your tree to ancestry via FTM that it would be visible. I am very careful to avoid that button on my FTM.
Old 22-05-14, 07:57

Thanks for your reply Toni.

None of the names from the FTM tree come up in google results for Ancestry, just public member photos and scanned documents. So perhaps if no images are uploaded the tree remains totally private.

I don't use FTM, although I have a copy I bought for the 6 month Ancestry sub. I wondered if maybe there was an option via the programme to search other FTM trees which had been uploaded.