Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 17-05-14, 08:23
Administrator

Default More marriages to find.

I'm looking for:

1) A man surname Watkinson (possibly, but not necessarily Thomas) marrying female Lavender (if he is Thomas she is probably Ann). Miss Lavender was probably born in Bedfordshire or Hertfordshire and was probably dead by 1808.

They definitely had a son Samuel Robert Watkinson who I think is on the 1841 census aged 51 living in Ridge Herts b in Herts. He died later in 1841. They also had a dau Ann Watkinson who was alive and unmarried in 1808.

2) Levi Lavender (brother of the bride above) marrying Leah Maynard. Leah was b in Herts in the mid 1770s. Her husband was probably significantly older, perhaps b abt 1760. All their children were b in Herts, the first in 1794.

3) James Lavender (sibling of Levi and Ann) b abt 1764 married Ann X abt 1800. They had several children - some bap at St Giles Cripplegate in London, some of those were born in other places though inc Ridge Herts and Barking Essex. The eldest known child was b 1801 and bap St Giles Cripplegate and was buried at Bunhill Fields the same year. The Next child was born at Barking, Essex and survived. I don't have a baptism for the second child.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-05-14, 09:19
Administrator

Having finally managed to open a non-conformist birth record on ancestry for Samuel Robert Watkinson 1789, it is the right entry (b Herts) and his parents are Thomas Watkinson and Ann (should be nee Lavender)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-05-14, 10:49
Administrator

Boyd's Marriage Index (FMP) has Thomas Watkinson marrying Ann Lavender 1788 at Christ Church Newgate (aka Christ Church Greyfriars).

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 17-05-14, 10:52
Administrator

Thankyou Kate. I did look on fmp, so will try and find it myself to see what I was doing wrong.

I've just added a third sibling to the list!

Old 17-05-14, 10:56
Administrator

I don't think ancestry has the image.

Old 17-05-14, 10:59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Boyd's Marriage Index (FMP) has Thomas Watkinson marrying Ann Lavender 1788 at Christ Church Newgate (aka Christ Church Greyfriars).
I found that easily, so I can only imagine I didn't find it during the spell I was thinking Thomas's surname was Wilkinson rather than Watkinson, but never went back for a second look!

Thanks again!

Old 17-05-14, 11:06
Administrator

Hmmm.....there's a burial for Anne Watkinson 8th April 1794 at Ridge Herts, but she is 40 making her birth about 1754. So, she was relatively old when she married (for the time period).

I still haven't found a baptism for her daughter, Ann.

Old 17-05-14, 11:10
Administrator

Ah, never trust the transcription! Anne was 33 not 40 and also 'of North Mims'.

Old 17-05-14, 11:19
Administrator

There's a PCC will and Baptist burial for Thomas Watkinson (sensible age to be Ann's husband) in 1826 in St Albans. He was married to a Frances by that time and she seems to have remarried to Daniel Woodhouse in 1832.

I have to go and fetch dau now, but as I've not read the will right through yet, I need to confirm when Thomas married Frances he was a widower and the dates fit.

Old 17-05-14, 11:27
Administrator

FMP has a marriage transcription for Thomas Watkinson widr of Parson Drove marrying Frances Corston wid otp 25 Jan 1796 at Tydd St Giles, Cambs.