Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 24-12-13, 05:42

Default Genealogical Christmas Gifts

It's late on Christmas Eve afternoon here in Oz.

What do I want most from Santa ?

A record of the marriage of Robert Martin and Elizabeth Berwick ?

or

A baptism for Sophia Linn ? or Sophia Lee ?

or a one for Christopher Eccles ?

Or even just a burial/death for William Martin.

Any one of the above suddenly appearing in familysearch or other indexes or transcriptions would be a great bonus to my researching, and I have tried every avenue I can find on-line to date with no success.

So fingers crossed Santa might know where the record is, if it exists in some dusty register in England, and he might send me a clue where to look.

Happy Christmas to all my GF friends and fellow addicts !

Diane
Sydney
Old 24-12-13, 08:00
Administrator

lol Dianne, let's hope Santa is listening (and that you've been a good girl )

I would like Santa to bring (or to let me find) the following:

What happened to my 4xg-aunt, Susannah McCrery, after she was told she must leave her husband in order to claim her inheritance from her father. Also what became of her younger two sons?

Where are my 3xg-grandparents, James and Mary Smith, hiding in 1851 and where was Mary born?

and.....

Where were my 4xg-grandparents, Willliam and Elizabeth Maynard buried?

I'm sure I asked for these last year, but I've tried to be better this year

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 24-12-13, 08:17

Who is the Susannah McCrery who marries William Lowden in Liverpool in 1769?
Old 24-12-13, 08:51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Who is the Susannah McCrery who marries William Lowden in Liverpool in 1769?
Someone who is most likely a different person!

Obviously I can't be 100%, but as well as having a different signature and stating she is a spinster, the biggest problem is that she has another McCrery as a witness and I think that makes it unlikely to be my Susannah.

When my Susannah's husband, Robert McCrery, wrote his will in 1793 he seemed to know his wife was still living as, though he didn't leave her anything, he mentioned that she would be entitled to an army pension as the widow of an officer. I think he must have known her whereabouts as his adult son was in regular communication with Susannah's brother, my 3xg-grandfather.

I hope Santa is taking notes!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 24-12-13, 09:34

Dear Santa,
Can't promise I've been good all year, but if you could manage it I would really like a clue
as to my g/g/grandmother's origins. You see, her maiden name was Ann Williams & I don't
know how I can identify her & eliminate others of that name.I've found a couple of possibilities, but can't be sure.
She had such a short life, dying at just 28 after the birth of her 3rd child, who also failed to
survive.
I often think of her & it would be so good to know who she was & where she came from.
Thank you & Merry Christmas,
Vita.
Old 24-12-13, 10:37

I hope Santa will grant me my request.

I would love to discover the parents and baptism/birth of my 3x-great-grandmother, Sarah Thomason who married my 3-x-great-grandfather Edward White on 28th June 1837 at All Saints, Headley, Hampshire. She had a guardian, Richard Hall, so I assume her parents were dead. She was only 27 when she died in 1843 so she was born c. 1816.
Old 24-12-13, 15:43
Administrator

lol re the date of her marriage!!

Old 24-12-13, 16:54

Yes, Merry, she could have waited a week. It was very inconsiderate of them. Also, she could have hung on until the 1851 census so I could have an inkling of her place of birth.
Old 25-12-13, 10:53
tenterfieldjulie

Well I just want to find who my husband's ancestor Mary Callow was? Everyone thinks they know who she was, but we know different. She couldn't have been transported to Australia and married and still living in Norfolk at the same time .. according to Kate finding them in the Censuses.. so did she use a false name? Trouble alive or dead .. Julie
Old 26-12-13, 08:30

I've given up asking Santa to help me with FH.

I did get a lovely "Happy Christmas" email from The Genealogist telling me that as a long term subscriber I am entitled to the online copy of "Discover Your Ancestors" monthly for the next year....all free.

Thank you.

Now if only Ancestry could give their subscribers a pressie instead of making us find new email addresses to take up "new subscriber" deals.....lol