Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-06-13, 20:08

Default Opinions, please!

I'm investigating my Ayling ancestors, and in doing so I have to check research done by others.

The Ayling trees on Ancestry give the father of Thomas Ayling who married Mary Redman and lived at Stedham and Cocking in Sussex as William Ayling and his wife Margaret.

Everyone quotes a birth year of 1689 and Thomas being born in Stedham, but I haven't found any proof of that or his parents.

I have today received the wills of William Ayling, died 1724, and his wife Margaret, who died in 1736.

William's will mentions son William and daughters Elizabeth Collens, Anne Wigen, son John Ayling, daughter Margaret Carpenter, daughter Mary Smith, daughter Sarah Ayling and daughter Hannah Ayling. Also his wife Margaret. There is no mention at all of a Thomas.

Margaret Ayling's will mentions daughter Margaret Capenter, Mary Elliot, Sarah Adames?, Hanah Baxter. No sons are mentioned and her executors are two of her sons-in-law.

The only thing that is interesting that both wills mention property in Heyshot. My 6x-great-grandfather Thomas Ayling also left property there.

Am I right to suspect that Thomas did not belong to this couple, bearing in mind that there were numerous other Ayling families in the vicinity and same parish (Stedham)?

Last edited by ElizabethHerts; 06-06-13 at 07:13.
Old 05-06-13, 20:30

Does William's will leave nominal amounts to anyone?

Thomas is likely to have served an apprenticeship and not need anything from his father if he was born in 1689.

My feeling is that you are right, but you can't prove it.
Old 05-06-13, 20:34

Just searched for your Thomas in Stedham via my Sussex Family History Group sub and drawn a blank, though there are a mound of other Aylings (& variant spellings).
Old 05-06-13, 21:08

Phoenix, just the children are named.

Jill, many thanks for looking for Thomas.

This research appears on its own website:
http://www.boldbelvoir.org.uk/ayling/family/

"Nicholas 4 and his family were obviously quite well-to-do, and his sons all had substantial possessions. One, Thomas, had an estate valued at 593 pounds, when he died in 1711, including lands at both Stedham and Rogate. Another son was named William (1649 1724), and he and his wife Margaret had nine children, some of whom moved away from the Stedham area. This included the four married daughters and a son Thomas who was born in 1689."

I fear the man who did the research may no longer be alive.
Old 05-06-13, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Just searched for your Thomas in Stedham via my Sussex Family History Group sub and drawn a blank, though there are a mound of other Aylings (& variant spellings).
Jill, does it have a good search facility or do you have to trawl through parish by parish?
Old 05-06-13, 21:11

Thomas was a yeoman. Would he have served an apprenticeship?
Old 05-06-13, 22:03

Yeomen didn't serve apprenticeships, it is a condition rather than an occupation and as such, he probably automatically inherited any real estate. I have quite a few Wills where the eldest, or at least the inheriting son, is not mentioned at all because property transferred automatically by death under the "three lives" system.

OC

Last edited by Olde Crone; 05-06-13 at 22:03. Reason: spelling
Old 05-06-13, 22:03

Unlikely. Pauper brats might have been apprenticed to learn husbandry, but farmers' sons would either grow up on the farm, or go round the neighbouring farms for a year at a time, learning the various aspects of farming.
Old 06-06-13, 01:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
Jill, does it have a good search facility or do you have to trawl through parish by parish?
You can do both - search by name, surname only, first and surname, limit by date or parish, or just trawl through each parish.

You can re-order the parish records by first name, surname or date, which makes picking up spelling variants really easy.

I cannot see any baptism for Thomas Ayling in 1689, nearest I can find is 1653, son of Thomas.

Let me go and check for William and Margarets Daughters.

Di
Old 06-06-13, 03:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
Phoenix, just the children are named.
"Nicholas 4 and his family were obviously quite well-to-do, and his sons all had substantial possessions. One, Thomas, had an estate valued at 593 pounds, when he died in 1711, including lands at both Stedham and Rogate. Another son was named William (1649 1724), and he and his wife Margaret had nine children, some of whom moved away from the Stedham area. This included the four married daughters and a son Thomas who was born in 1689."
Nicholas 4 seems to have had sons William in 1649 and Thomas in 1650 ("of Hookland", died 1711), both baptised in Stedham. Also Nicholas in 1642 and again in 1646 and a daughter Mary 1652. Nicholas of Hookland died in 1678 - buried in Woolbeding.

Still looking for William and Margaret's children
Di