Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 17-04-13, 15:46

Default Peter Harrison (sorry - yes that one)

As you know OH's grandfather is a mystery. Refused to speak about his early life, just said "All you need to know is I wasn't wanted".

Previous threads:
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...henry+harrison

and

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...henry+harrison

1911 census in Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire says name is Peter Henry Harrison b 1885 in Rotherham, Yorkshire.

1908 marriage in Ashby. Name is Peter Harrison (no Henry) and father Thomas (deceased)

1903 joins the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in Pontefract, Yorkshire.
Army records only go back as far as 1913 when he was recalled. No next of kin for earlier service.

Can't find on 1901 or 1891 census.

NOW!!

I have found in 1901 (apologies if someone found this previously)

Reformatory School for Roman Catholic Boys in Mold, Flintshire, Wales a Peter Harrison aged 15 BUT he is from St Helens in Lancashire.

1891 there appear to be four Peter Harrison's born 1885/6 in St Helens.
sons of William and Jane, Robert and Ellen, Joseph and Margaret (that one says Parr but I think it means Parry which on another census I've seen seems to be part of St Helens) and Thomas.

1901 there are only three Peter Harrison's born 1885/1886, William and Jane, Robert and Agnes (perhaps a 2nd wife) and Joseph and Margaret.
Thomas Harrison from the 1891 seems to be in hospital in Southport.
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...017901&recoff=
1902 a death for Thomas Harrison in Prescot, Lancs (right area for St Helens and the right age)

Our Peter joined up in 1903

How can I prove or disprove that the Peter in the reformatory school in Mold was our Peter?

I think we can take with a pinch of salt the 1911 census info that he was born in Rotherham. The 1913 Army info says he was born in Ashby de la Zouch.

The family assumed he was a Yorkshire man because of his being in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.

I once asked if he had a Yorkshire accent, he died when OH was 9. I was told yes, but I think after living in South Derbyshire since 1918 and working in the pit he would have picked up a South Derbyshire accent.
Old 17-04-13, 16:28
Administrator

I suppose the obvious question is whether the records for the Reformatory School are available. (St David's, previously Clarence.)

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 17-04-13, 17:15
Administrator

There is some information about it on here but I don't think it says where the records are:
http://www.missing-ancestors.com/CLA...NFO%20PAGE.htm

Old 17-04-13, 17:19
Administrator

You might be best to contact Flintshire Record Office and ask whether they hold the records, or if not, do they know where they are held. Or it could be Liverpool Record Office.

Old 17-04-13, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I suppose the obvious question is whether the records for the Reformatory School are available. (St David's, previously Clarence.)
Quote:
There is some information about it on here but I don't think it says where the records are:
http://www.missing-ancestors.com/CLA...NFO%20PAGE.htm
Yes I saw that, or similar.

I just really want to get something on Peter. It even awakened OH's interest in FH when I mentioned it.
Old 17-04-13, 17:22

Quote:
You might be best to contact Flintshire Record Office and ask whether they hold the records, or if not, do they know where they are held. Or it could be Liverpool Record Office.
That's an idea
Old 17-04-13, 17:31

Interesting, Marg.

I will share this story with you because it has some relevance to your hunt for the elusive Peter Henry Harrison.

John McGlary, my great-grandfather, was similarly quiet about his background and we never knew how a boy ended up moving from the west of Scotland to Fife. It transpired that he was abandoned by his mother and he took to petty crime. He was moved from his home in the west and transferred to a prison ship for boys anchored in the Tay. When I was reading up about these institutions, I found that the boys were kept on the ship until they were 16, after which the majority were sent to work in the pits or joined the military (Navy for most of them). John's brother, Hugh, however, ended up in a notorious Catholic orphanage (Mum was still alive, though).

With this in mind, the following may shed some light on the Peter Harrison you have discovered in 1901, whether he is yours or not.

CLARENCE REFORMATORY SCHOOL SHIP FOR BOYS, OFF NEW FERRY, LIVERPOOL.

Certified 3rd August 1864 and run by the Liverpool Catholic Reformatory Association.

It was an 84 gun line-of-battle ship, 2,279 tons and launched in 1827. On the 17th January 1884 the ship was totally burnt out by an arson attack of 6 boys, fortunately no lives were lost. The boys were temporarily housed at Port Sanitary Hospital, Off New Ferry, Birkenhead, until 19th July 1884, when owing to the outbreak of cholera in the river the use of the hospital was required by the sanitary authorities. The boys were then transferred to the premises formerly occupied as a Reformatory School at Agricultural Colony of Mount St Bernard Abbey Reformatory School for Roman Catholic Boys, Whitwick, Nr Coalville, Leicestershire, and there the school was carried on until the end of year 1884-1885.

The vessel was replaced by the Royal William, and certified 18th November, 1885 for 300 boys, this ship suffered a mutiny in 1886 and was burnt out 26th July 1889, again no lives were lost, also a visiting Bishop was on board when it went up in flames. An official enquiry was held in August 1899 and tended to show that (1) the ship was wilfully fired (2) discipline on board was good (3) there were no feelings of discontent. Several months later the crime was brought home to 3 boys, who pleaded guilty and were sentenced to 12 months hard labour on 4th May 1900.

PREMISES NO. 111 and 113 SHAW STREET, LIVERPOOL certified 26th July 1899 for 266 boys as the temporary home for the CLARENCE REFORMATORY SHIP SCHOOL when it burnt out.

After a short stay at Rock Ferry the boys were housed at ST DAVID'S COLLEGE, MOLD, FLINT (CLWYD), re-named St. David's COLLEGE Reformatory School for Roman Catholic Boys and certified 9th August 1899. The premises consisted of the old county prison, the severer features of which were softened during the tenancy by the Jesuits. The prison yard was converted into a beautiful garden, with rows of trees set formally, and the walls inside were covered with creepers and climbing flower-plants.

During the stay in their first refuge at Shaw Street, the boys behaved well and the transfer to St David's College was effected without difficulty in August 1899. Anxiety to get back to Liverpool and the restlessness inseparable from a pic-nic existence, led to trouble, culminating in some lawlessness, mainly on the part of 1 or 2 desperate characters, and the absconding of some 35 on Christmas Day. The outbreak was quelled by the prosecution of several and the arming of the handful of officers.

The Kirkedge Roman Catholic Reformatory School for Boys, Nr. Sheffield, Certified 3rd September 1901 and closed 10th November 1905, took over until the boys went to the Farnworth Nautical School, Nr. Widnes which was certified in 1905 for 125 boys. it became Farnworth St Aidens Approved School from 1933 and closed in 1981.

Auxiliary Home with Birkdale Farm School. Cessation of certification or closure April, 1923.

STAFF

1866 - Captain Algar ; school instruction Mr McGovern.

1867 - Captain Algar R.N.

1868 - Captain Algar R.N., school instruction 2 Christian Brothers.

1869 - Captain Algar R.N.

1872 - Captain-superintendent Algar R.N.

1884 - Superintendent, Captain John Hudson ; chief officer Mr John Lawless ; head schoolmaster Mr F.J. Potter ; assistant schoolmaster Mr J. Carrigan, who assists as bandmaster.

1891 - Captain Superintendent, Captain Edward P. Statham R.N. ; chief officer, Mr J. Thompson ; schoolmaster, Mr J. Kearney ; assistant schoolmaster Mr P. Fitzpatrick ; chaplain Rev. M. Clarke.

1895 - Captain Superintendent, Captain E. P. Statham R.N. ; chief officer, Mr John Thompson ; schoolmaster, Mr John Kearney ; assistant schoolmaster Mr M. Murphy ; chaplain Rev. M. Clarke.

1900 - The Captain Superintendent Commander G.H. Young R.N. ; chief officer Mr Leahy ; head schoolmaster Mr Kearney ; assistants Messrs J. Doyle and J. O'Donohoe ; chaplain Rev. P. Donnelly.

1903 - Superintendent Mr Denis Murphy ; Chaplain Rev. George Walmsley ; schoolmaster Mr J Kearney would be leaving to take up the position of superintendent of Parkhead ; assistant schoolmaster Mr Thomas Doyle ; seamanship instructor Mr Laurence McCarthy.

It's a stretch (pardon the pun!), but I wonder if your Peter Harrison had any links with the Agricultural Colony of Mount St Bernard Abbey Reformatory School for Roman Catholic Boys, Whitwick, near Coalville - it's not too far away from Ashby-de-Zouch.
Old 17-04-13, 17:32

Ah - just realised that Kite had posted a link to the same info.
Old 17-04-13, 17:53

Marg,

Here is a link to the records available for the Liverpool Catholic Reformatory Association:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a...364cat&cid=0#0

The admission registers for the period in question do survive.

Last edited by Shona; 17-04-13 at 20:18.
Old 17-04-13, 18:56

I need to get my head around this info

Thanks Shona