Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 11-03-13, 08:38

Default Bingham or Bangham?

I have a longstanding brick wall with my ggg grandmother Ellen Bingham. She first appears on 27/9/1867 for her marriage to Samuel Stowell in Aldershot, listing her father as John Bingham decd. She is in Ireland in 1871 & reappears as a widow in 1881 and from then until her death, lists herself born c1842 Canterbury Kent. I had been unable to find her birth or any trace of her in 1851/61. I did find an Ellen Bangham born in 1842 Canterbury but her father was David. I found an Ellen Bingham in 1861 born 1836 Canterbury & also found the same one in 1841 living with parents John & Sophia & siblings Ann Frances & Jane, but I was unable to trace them after that. Someone found me baptisms for the siblings with the addition of Sarah & Albina on Familysearch in Fordwich Kent.

FMP have now made their Canterbury records searchable & i have been using my free credits to search for Ellen & have found a baptism 7/7/1836 for Ellen Bangham parents John & Sophia. I have also found a burial for a Sophia Bangham in 1843, a John Bangham in Blean age 65 and a Sarah Bangham (age29 born Fordwich) with 9 yr old daughter Albina & visitor 13 yr old Ellen. All this fits with the Bingham family I had found before.

Do you think that I have found my Ellen and family & that their name changed between Bingham & Bangham & she just got her age wrong?
I have been able to rule out the other Ellen Bangham as I found a marriage for her in 1866, although I didn't have enough credits to view the record.
Old 11-03-13, 09:24
tenterfieldjulie

Maybe she got sick of people calling her Bingham, instead of Bangham and decided to go with Bingham. There could be lots of jokes about Bang ham ..
Old 11-03-13, 09:25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn the Forest Fan View Post
I have also found a burial for a Sophia Bangham in 1843, a John Bangham in Blean age 65 and a Sarah Bangham (age29 born Fordwich) with 9 yr old daughter Albina & visitor 13 yr old Ellen. All this fits with the Bingham family I had found before.
Sorry, Lynn, but what do you mean about finding a John Bangham in Blean age 65?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-03-13, 14:06

The John Bingham I found in 1841 with wife Sophia, was a labourer aged 55, I found John Bangham labourer aged 65 living in Blean Union in 1851 born St Stephens Kent, listed as a widower which would fit with the burial for Sophia Bangham in 1843.

Julie I don't think she would have changed her name by herself it is the whole family that is swaping around.
Old 11-03-13, 14:21

Aldershot? Ireland? Looks as if there is a military connection...off to have a look.
Old 11-03-13, 14:41

Looking at the 1881 census...

Ellen Stowell, widow, 39, machinist, b Canterbury
Francis Stwell, son, 10, born Ireland
Douglas Stowell, son, 8, born Scotland
Marion Stowell, dau, 5, born Scotland

From FS: Douglas was born in Ayr on 13 Jan 1873 - son of Samuel James Stowell and Ellen Bingham.

Last edited by Shona; 11-03-13 at 16:51.
Old 11-03-13, 15:33

Yes, that is the one. She used the name Bingham on her marriage cert & also on Douglas & Marion's birth certs, her husband was in the KDG but was dead by 1881.
Old 11-03-13, 17:12

You probably have this, Lynn, but just in case you don't...

Samuel Stowell was a trumpet major in the 1st Dragoon Guards (Kings). His service number was 1284 and in 1861 he was based at Bangalore in India. He was discharged on 8 July 1873 after 22 years and 159 days of service - I think in Ireland. He was of very good character.

Playing around with dates on Scotland's People, there is a Samuel Stowell who died in Ayr in 1875.
Old 11-03-13, 17:49

Samuel saw action in the Crimean war (Sevastopol) for which he was awarded a medal/clasp. The KDG then went to Lucknow to deal with the Indian mutiny. The regiment were based in Bangalore in 1860 before heading to China.

PS I am searching for Ellen, too!
Old 11-03-13, 18:42

Thanks Shona, I do have most of that info although I'd be interested to know where you are finding it. The Samuel Stowell who died in Ayr is Ellen's husband, he left the KDG to join the Ayr yeomanry. I have the death cert & even details of where he was buried.

I am really interested in people's opinions on whether the Bingham/Bangham family are indeed the family of my Ellen