Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 22-01-13, 11:39
Administrator

Default Brain ache! How many Robert Hornimans?

Link to this thread added to earliest Robert H on BK6

I don't know whether I will have made sense of this by the end of the post, or not, but trying to do it in my head isn't working...........I'm trying to work out when these various people died.

Robert 1

Born - date/place unknown
Married Bridget - date/place unknown
Two known children bap 1702 and 1705 in Abingdon Berkshire

Robert 2

Son of Robert 1 - Baptised 1705 Abingdon
Married Elizabeth - date/place unknown
Nine known children - I only have baps for three - 1727, 1732 and 1742.

Robert 3

Son of Robert 2 - Baptised 1727 Abingdon
Married 1) Rebecca - date/place unknown
Rebecca was buried 1764 Abingdon
Married 2) Dinah Quarrington 1765 Abingdon
One known child with Rebecca bap 1763
Four known children with Dinah bap 1766, 1767, 1771 and 1776

Robert 4

Son of Robert 3 and Rebecca - Bap 1763 Abingdon

Robert 5

Son of Robert 3 and Dinah - Bap 1767 Abingdon
This Robert was apprenticed to William Thompson, glazier of St Marylebone, in 1780.

To the best of my knowledge these Roberts did not have any other relatives named Robert in Abingdon at the same time as they were living.

Here are the bits of information I have about dead Roberts:

NBI entries (kindly given to me by ElizabethHerts, but I did wonder if I copied them correctly?!)
Burial 17th May 1764 Abingdon
Burial 27th Oct 1779 Abingdon

LMA burial May 1781 at St Marylebone

Oxford Journal
Oct 1775 - Auction to be held on the 16/17th Oct of the household goods of Mrs Bathurst of Ock Street Abingdon and the "effects of Robert Horniman senior dec'd"... "which are removed there for the convenience of sale". It is not clear which items belonged to which of the above people -
A long list of household effects, two fat hogs, a cart, two horses and three hay stacks.
Two tenements in Thames St Abingdon currently rented by Benjamin Goodluck and Benjamin Butler.
Slaughterhouse/brewhouse in Turnagain Lane, Abingdon, late in the occupation of Robert Horniman, senr, dec'd.
Ock mill, now in the occupation of John Horniman (brother of Robert 3 - he seems to have moved from Abingdon to Reading in 1776)
Two houses and two double spinning houses a load more business accomodation in Winsmore Lane Abingdon.

Oxford Journal
Dec 1778 - Sale of estates belonging to "Robert Horniman of Abingdon Berks dec'd" -
Ock Mill
Cottage called The Windmill
Shop and house in Butcher's Row Abingdon and slaughterhouse/brewhouse in Turnagain Lane, Abingdon (the last two "currently in the occupation of Robert Horniman, Butcher").
A house in Thames St Abingdon currently rented by Benjamin Goodluck and Benjamin Butler.

The Times
Jan 1796 - The creditors of Robert Horniman the elder, butcher, dec'd of Abingdon, Berkshire are asked to send their claims to Mr Goode of 45 Howland St Fitzroy Sq London.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the 1764 NBI entry must surely be for Robert 4 and possibly the St Marylebone entry is for Robert 5. After that I get confused, particularly with who was described as the elder or senior and who else was alive at the same time!!

I have checked the newspaper dates are correct from the images rather than the transcriptions and looked for PCC wills (none) and that's about it so far, as I keep going round and round! Can you help me please?

Time for lunch!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-01-13, 11:55
Administrator

Richard Horniman, son of Robert Horniman of Abingdon, Berks, butcher, was apprenticed to Samuel Walker, citizen of London, 6 Sep 1758. Probably doesn't help but I presume he is a son of Robert 2?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 22-01-13, 12:01

You copied the burials OK, Merry.
Both at St Nicholas, Abingdon.
The 1764 one is spelt HORNYMAN.
Old 22-01-13, 12:02
Administrator

Oh, and here are some more apprenticeship records which you may or may not have:

Robt Horniman of Abingdon Berks butcher, apprentice John Collingwood, duty paid Fryday 7 June 1765.
Robt Horniman of Abingdon Berks butcher, apprentice Thos Horniman, duty paid Fryday 7 June 1765.

It doesn't actually state in the records (on ancestry) whether it is the same Robt in both cases but neither is senior or junior or anything.

Old 22-01-13, 12:04
Administrator

Yes, he is one of the unbaptised sons of Robert 2! His age at death (81 in 1820) suggests he was born about 1739, but he was probably a bit younger given the date of the apprenticeship.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-01-13, 12:05
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
You copied the burials OK, Merry.
Both at St Nicholas, Abingdon.
The 1764 one is spelt HORNYMAN.
Thanks!

Old 22-01-13, 12:07
Administrator

Poll Books etc have Robert Horniman, junior, Butcher, listed for 1768:
UK Poll Books and Electoral Registers

Old 22-01-13, 12:08
Administrator

So in 1768 there were at least two adult Roberts alive, and we know one of them was Robert 3.

Old 22-01-13, 12:08

Oh dear, I tried searching for Robert Hornyman on Google, but got lots of inappropriate sites!
Old 22-01-13, 12:14
Administrator

Quote:
Robt Horniman of Abingdon Berks butcher, apprentice John Collingwood, duty paid Fryday 7 June 1765.
Robt Horniman of Abingdon Berks butcher, apprentice Thos Horniman, duty paid Fryday 7 June 1765.
I have Thomas H as the son of Robert 2 and Elizabeth (no baptism though), mainly because someone compiling a tree in about 1880 had a Thomas fitting in at that point and they didn't have the benefit of the internet etc! I have a newspaper cutting from 1769 stating his residence as Abingdon, his occ as butcher and his wife's name, Ann. I also have a marriage in the same year at St Marylebone to Dorothy Coster, which I suppose probably isn't him!