Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 07-01-13, 12:56
Administrator

Default Help with Galway / Galloway family please

I seem to be going round in circles with this lot and could use some help!
As far as I know, they aren't related to my Galway family but maybe if I get back far enough, they will turn out to be...

Henry Galloway married Janet Honeyman 26 Jun 1857 in Dundee, Angus. He was 20, a bachelor, residence Rose St, Dundee, his parents James Galloway deceased and Ann Galloway, MS Bevers. She was 18, a spinster, residence Smithfield, Dundee, parents Thomas Honeyman and Agnes Honeyman MS Miller. Both Henry and Janet were weavers. Witnesses John Morrison and James Nicolson.

Ann Galloway was born 25 Jan 1858 at 13 Rose Street, Dundee, [B]parents Henry Galloway, a flax handloom weaver, and Janet Galloway, maiden name Honeyman.

Then FamilySearch has these births in Kerry, Ireland:
Albert Egbert Gallway born 21 Apr 1874, parents Henry Gallway and Janet Honeyman
James Cecil Gallway born 2 Nov 1878, parents Henry Gallway and Janet Honneyman Gallway.

There is a Jannet Honeyman in Dundee on the 1841 census age 2, with a Jannet Alexander age 40 and Betty Honeyman age 2, according to ancestry. Also a Janet Herniman age 1 with John Fraser, Hellon Dick and Robert Davidson. On the 1851 census there is a Jessie Hodeyman (according to both ancestry and FMP) age 11 born Dundee, visiting a family called Fitzgerald.

I haven't managed to find Henry Gall(o)way on a census yet.

There is quite a gap between the births of Ann and Albert. I'm wondering whether some or all of these could be the same family:
Worldwide Army Index (FMP): Henry Galway no 2521, private in the 104th Foot (Bengal Fusiliers) at Meerut (India).

And from FamilySearch:
William Henry Galloway born 26 Jul 1862 and baptised 14 Aug 1862 Meerut, Bengal, India, parents Henry and Jessie.
Janet Galway born 11 Sep 1864 and baptised 18 Oct 1864 Bareilly, Bengal, India, parents Henry and Janet.
Edward Gallway born 2 Sep 1866 and baptised 13 Oct 1866 Jhansi, Bengal, India, parents Henry and Janet.

Can anyone find Henry before the marriage (to get his birthplace) or find what happened to any of the above people, please? Or find something to prove or disprove the theory that the couple in India are the same people as the couple in Dundee and then in Kerry?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-01-13, 13:18
Administrator

Typing it all out helped me go in a new direction!

There is an Albert E Galway on the 1911 census of Canada, not very easy to make out but his age looks like 30, born Ireland. Birth month is April.

And looking at the 1891 Canadian census, there is this family in Dundas, Ontario, all born Ireland except for Clara who is born Ontario:
Galway Henry 50 Labourer
Charlotte 29 Wife
Albert 17 Son Labourer
James C 12 Son
George 9 Son
Walmer 7 Son
Charlotte 4 Daughter
Clara 1 Daughter.

So this must surely be the Henry who was married to Janet Honeyman, because of the sons Albert and James C. Charlotte must be a second wife. But is it the same Henry who served in India?

Old 07-01-13, 13:28
Administrator

Okay, looking back at Ireland, there is a death registration for Janet Galway Oct-Dec 1878 Tralee district, age 38, and a possible marriage between Henry Gallway and Charlotte Phillips Jan-Mar 1881 Belfast. Then birth regs for George Jan-Mar 1882 Belfast, Walmere Jul-Sep 1883 (died the same month age 0) and another Oct-Dec 1884, both Belfast, and Charlotte Jan-Mar 1887 Lisburn.

Then there is a birth registration for Clara in Dundas, Ontario, dob 13 Mar 1890, parents Henry Gallway and Charlotte Phillips.

But I'm still looking for a link with the India family...

Old 07-01-13, 13:40
Administrator

Here they are (apart from Henry) travelling to Quebec in 1888 on the "Carthaginian":

Carthaginian Jul 1888 to Quebec:
Mrs C Gallway Matron
Albert E " Child
Cecil " Child
Geo " Child
Walmere " Child
Charlotte " Infant
Eliza Phillips Spins

Ann born in Dundee and the children born in India would all be adults by that time (if they didn't die young) so the fact that they aren't with the rest doesn't really prove anything one way or the other.

Old 07-01-13, 13:53
Administrator

Then arriving at Liverpool in Oct 1896 from Montreal, Quebec, we have:
Henry Gallway 41
Margt(?) Wife 34
Geo 12
W 11
Charlotte 9
Clara 4

I wonder where they went next! (And who Margt is, possibly Charlotte with a different name)

Old 07-01-13, 14:32

In 1911, Annie E Gallway, single, 53, born Dundee, is the lady superintendent at a convalescent home, Highdale Road, Belmont, Cleveden.

Not sure that helps much, but it looks like Henry and Janet's daughter.
Old 07-01-13, 14:33
Administrator

I'm just off out, but before I go, I have found them in Ireland in 1901 (wife is Charlotte) and it looks as though he could be the same Henry as the one in India as his occupation in 1901 is Labourer - Army Pensioner Infantry. Birthplace is Co Tyrone and Charlotte's is Co Down.

Still need something to prove that the Dundee / Ireland / Canada / Ireland family is the same Henry as the one who served in India.

Old 07-01-13, 14:33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
In 1911, Annie E Gallway, single, 53, born Dundee, is the lady superintendent at a convalescent home, Highdale Road, Belmont, Cleveden.

Not sure that helps much, but it looks like Henry and Janet's daughter.
Thanks for that, Shona, will look into it when I get back from the shops.

Old 07-01-13, 16:08
Administrator

I can't find Ann(ie) on any other census at all! Still looking!

Henry and Charlotte are still at Ballyaghlis, Drumbeg, Co Down in 1911, Henry age 66, Army Pensioner and Sub-Postmaster, Charlotte 50, married 30 years, 6 children, 3 still living, daughters Clara 21 and Evelyne 9.

Old 07-01-13, 16:50
Administrator

Found Edward Gallway on the 1891 census at Twickenham, Middlesex, Sergeant, Single, 25, Sergeant Infantry, born Bengal East Indies. He's in army accommodation. But just as with his father Henry, I can't find his army papers on FMP.