Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 06-01-13, 22:19

Default Genes Reunited ?am furious

I tried to import a gedcom into my tree about 2 weeks ago but it wouldnt work so I contacted them only to be told there was a problem,
I waited till tonight to try again it worked hooray ,except my Grandfather is now married to my Cousins Husband, and his Fathers name is Rachel ? I dont think so
I am contacting them again.

Vallee
Old 07-01-13, 06:07
Administrator

Good luck. My tree has stuff like that in it but I've never got it resolved (uploaded about three years ago). It makes a great reason/excuse to not open your tree to anyone though!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-01-13, 12:12

Thanks Merry
This happened once before ,and their answer was it must be corrupted? I exported it from my Ancestry Tree which is fine ,I am about to try again fingers crossed.
I have had some very good contacts through it Merry thats why I want it right.

Vallee
Old 10-01-13, 10:50

There is the possibility that its the Ancestry gedcom that is the problem. I exported my Ancestry gedcom to an offline tree and had all the same problems. Mine were so bad that I just started again and manually added everyone one by one
Old 10-01-13, 11:23
Administrator

I know the reason mine is corrupted on GR is because I uploaded the database from my home tree program and the way the dates are formatted on my home program is not compatible with GR. They suggested I change the date format across my tree and upload again, which I did, and this made a huge difference to the number of corrupted entries on my GR tree (my GR tree has not linked up the wrong people, just some of the dates are missing) - the only ones still missing are those where I'd not used the standard date format on my original tree so when I'd changed the date format these dates did not change, so it was my own faut really.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 10-01-13, 11:55

Yes they said GR does not like the date format 2/7/2012 it has to be 2 July 2012 ,but my dates are like that so it shouldn't affect it, I have now imported it from my tree programme and its fine as far as I can tell, fingers crossed.

Vallee
Old 10-01-13, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallee View Post
I tried to import a gedcom into my tree about 2 weeks ago but it wouldnt work so I contacted them only to be told there was a problem,
I waited till tonight to try again it worked hooray ,except my Grandfather is now married to my Cousins Husband, and his Fathers name is Rachel ? I dont think so
I am contacting them again.
Doubt those errors will stop people copying them Val
Old 10-01-13, 23:48

hyer Jay good to see you after what I've seen on Ancestry tonight your probably right

Vallee