Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 14-11-12, 19:52

Default Service Records

Something rather curious has happened and I would welcome any thoughts.

My friend sent for her (late) father's RAF records. Her parents were not married but his name and rank are on her BC. She asked if there was any information about a previous wife.

She had a phone call from someone at the MOD, who said that off the record, he could tell her that her father went to prison in 1929 for nonpayment of maintenance. He regretted he was unable to tell her any more. She then received a letter from the MOD, returning her cheque and saying that they were "unable" to supply the requested records. No reason was given.

Would you think, as I am thinking, that there must be a name of a first wife/children on his records and that is why they will not release his records? Can you think of any other reason, given that they have definitely found his records?

OC
Old 14-11-12, 20:18

That does seem reasonable, since the children of an earlier marriage might well be still alive AND they would be the next of kin, rather than your friend.
Old 14-11-12, 20:59

I don't think they differentiate between who might be next of kin - it doesn't have to be the eldest child. Next of kin, as defined on their form, appears to be 1 Spouse 2 Son/daughter . Can your friend prove that any spouse has died?

Anyway, if the above is satisfied, they could send the records without that bit of information (although it might be the very reason your friend wants the records!)
Old 14-11-12, 21:17

Ann

No, friend cannot prove any spouse has died although the marriage would have been before 1929, so seems likely spouse is dead.

I had originally thought they might have sent the records with stuff blacked out, but perhaps they don't do this in case people like me hold it up to the light, lol.

Just seems rather odd to me as I have never heard of anyone being refused records, given that she provided her birth cert in support of her request.

OC
Old 14-11-12, 21:27
Administrator

I imagine the name is a commonplace one if your friend is unable to confirm the death of the first spouse or even know who she is, so I hope the RAF, who have been supplied with his name and rank, are looking at the right record!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-11-12, 21:34

Yes, very common name. The whole thing is driving me demented, I only found out today that she had sent off for his records - I've been waiting patiently for THREE years for her to do this. She forgot to tell me she'd done it...................

OC
Old 14-11-12, 21:49

I'm sure they have to give a reason for not supplying it.

I'd ring them and ask what that reason is.
Old 14-11-12, 22:11

Another thought - could he have married again later and that wife might still be alive?
Old 14-11-12, 23:02

No, he formed a relationship with my friend's mother and they were together for many years until he died.

She maintained the fiction that they were married "at Caxton Hall" (no trace of any marriage, let alone one at Caxton Hall) but confessed on her death bed to her youngest daughter that they hadn't married because he was already married and his wife would not divorce him.

OC
Old 15-11-12, 06:14
Administrator

OC, was your friend's father's initials WAB?

*polishes crystal ball*

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010