Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-12-11, 07:19
tenterfieldjulie

Default 1841 Census Help Please

Unfortunately my 3xgrtgrandfather's name was Richard Smith. We know he was baptised 14 October 1770 Tonbridge, Kent to parents Robert & Ann (Saxby). He married by licence (signed) 3 Oct 1793 at Speldhurst, Kent to Lucy Avery. Barden farm where Richard grew up is part in Speldhurst and part Bidborough. Richard and Lucy had 7 children baptised Bidborough between 1794 and 1808 and then 1811 and 1814 at Tunbridge Wells. Lucy was buried 25/6/1832 aged 57 (according to a family source). On free Reg it said 20/6/1832 Dartford, Kent. The story goes that after Lucy died he went to pieces and disappeared. Now the problem is finding his burial over the next 20 odd years, as there are about 80 Richard Smith's buried in Kent in that time frame. I have found 3 at Tunbridge and 3 at Ticehurst, where Lucy's mother's family were.
What I am hoping is that some clever person can find Richard in the 1841 census, he would be around 70-75. He was a farrier, but possibly a farmer and ag labourer too. I hope this may indicate where his burial may be.

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 28-12-11 at 07:31.