PDA

View Full Version : Have I made a mistake in my tree ?

marquette
17-03-16, 02:36
Several years ago, I confirmed that my great-grandfathers sister, Harriet Page (born 1847 Corley, Warwickshire) married Edwin Carver (b 1840 Handsworth, Staffordshire) on 18 Jul 1877 at All Saints, Hockley, Birmingham.

Both their fathers Reuben Page and John Carver were joiners/builders and I traced them in several census. The marriage witnesses were Reuben Page and Emily Ager - Emily is Harriet's maternal first cousin.

When I traced Edwin Carver, his mother is Harriet, born about 1814/5 in Milson Shropshire - its a fairly specific location, a small village, you would hardly choose it as a POB if it wasn't true.

John Carver was born about 1811 in Weobly Herefordshire. I found a marriage for John Carver and Harriet Page in 1834 in Swindon, Gloucestershire. I thought that was a bit far away, but maybe okay, their son John was born in 1838, and they later lived in Cheltenham.

However, I have now found an image for the marriage record, and the witnesses make me think I have the wrong marriage - they were Mary Page and Edward Page, but I have found no-one called Edward Page so far.
I cannot find any other marriage for John Carver and any Harriet, nor for Harriet Page to anyone else.

So I always thought that the younger Harriet Page married her cousin, Edwin Carver, but now that may not be true.

Harriet Page, the daughter of Richard and Ann, was baptised in Milson Shropshire 24 April 1814, the same day as her brother John Page. There do not appear to be any other Harriets baptised in Milson around the right year. Her siblings were baptised from Clee to Burrington Herefordshire and Ludford and Hope Bagot.

Does anyone have an idea of how to work out who Harriet, mother of Edwin Carver, might really be ? Will Edwins birth certificate give her maiden name ?

I am going back to the census to see if I can find Edward and Mary Page (if they were in fact husband and wife)

Di

Merry
17-03-16, 06:00
Will Edwins birth certificate give her maiden name ?

Yes, it will! Edwin was born in 1841 not 1840. Here is his birth reg and ancestry's attempt at the 1841 census record confirming his age.

Births Jun 1841
Carver Edwin W Bromwich 18 537

John Caones 80 (30!) joiner No
Harriet Caones 25 No
John Caones 2 No
Edwin Caones 1 Mo Yes

As you probably only need to put your mind at rest it's probably easiest to get the cert!

kiterunner
17-03-16, 07:49
There is an Amelia Carver, daughter of John and Harriett, baptised 26 Apr 1835 at Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Father's occupation is Cabinet Maker. And there is an Amelia Carver death registered Oct-Dec 1839 in Birmingham. Swindon, Gloucestershire, is very close to Cheltenham.

marquette
17-03-16, 09:42
Thanks ladies. I will order Edwin's certificate, I really think I have to know if his wife was his cousin !

Caones - LOL - I tried lots of things for the 1841 census, but not that ! But it does not help with finding out who Harriet was.

it's as bad as Page, Pugh, Paye, etc

I think the Harriet Page married in Swindon might be the daughter of Richard and Rebecca, baptised 1816 Charlton Kings Gloucester. There's another Richard and Rebecca having children in Shropshire about the same time, haven't worked out if they could be the same yet !

There may be some connection between the Birmingham and Gloucestershire Pages - they all seem to be joiners/carpenters/builders. And turn up all over the place in the census (maybe they moved around for work?)
Even my great-grandfather was born and baptised on the border of Hampshire and Surrey, when the rest of his family were baptised in the Birmingham area, and one of his brothers was born in New York USA (Thomas Page born 1836-ish).

Merry
17-03-16, 09:48
But it does not help with finding out who Harriet was.

No, but it proves he was born in 1841!

I think you will find you have the right marriage, following Kate's post above.

marquette
18-03-16, 06:33
Yes, Merry, it probably is. And you're right, his baptism record, which ancestry only has the index for, must be incorrect, as he was baptised in 1847

Will be awaiting the birth certificate for confirmation, it usually takes a few weeks to get here to Sydney.

I will be glad to have it confirmed that I did not make such an easy mistake as following up the first, or even only, marriage that I could find.

Now to find out who Edward and Mary Page were !

Merry
18-03-16, 06:49
Ancestry does have the image for his baptism too on this database:

Birmingham, England, Church of England Baptisms, 1813-1912

tHE YEAR FOR BIRTH DOES SAY 1840, SO I GUESS THAT'S JUST A MISTAKE! (oops, caps lock - sorry!)

marquette
18-03-16, 20:57
After so long, they had forgotten which year he was born?

Its a great pity that none of them seemed to leave a will !