PDA

View Full Version : Going on a tangent with the comfy chair!

KiwiChris
06-09-14, 23:23
You may still need the comfy chair :d(see the earlier thread!)

I am trying to find information on Alfred John Clare Maison Hazlewood, who I think may be the brother of Marie Maison (any number of surnames) who I am looking for on the other thread.

Alfred John Clare Maison Hazlewood, eldest son of Levy Maison Hazlewood of Wolverhampton Staffs, married Louisa Alexandra Stainton in Christ Church Cathedral Newcastle Australia 13 July 1887.

Marie Maison says her father is Leon Maison at one of her many marriages, but she names a number of others as her father at other marriages.

Alf ends up with a second wife (can't find that marriage) Violet May nee Blewett. Their son was a witness at the marriage of one of the sons of Marie Maison from the other thread.

Alfred died in Australia in 1931 and that death reg gives his birth as c 1862.
He tried to enlist in the Australian army in 1916, said he was b in Wolverhampton Staffs saying he was b 1872, he was discharged a few days later as too old so I think they worked out he was somewhat older than he claimed, his age is now 56! He did sign Mason and not Maison on the papers and he did say he had served 3 years in the Sth Staffordshire Volunteers.

I think that Alfred is possibly the brother of Marie Maison and that they both toured together in various companies, Alf was a tenor, and I believe became a piano tuner and appears as such on Australian electoral rolls, and Marie was a soprano.

However if he is as truthful as his sister, then this may all be a story as well! I have tried all sorts of ways to try and find Alf or his father with no luck so far. Anyone else want to try???

Pretty please? :d

Merry
07-09-14, 06:52
I spent a lot of time going nowhere with the other thread yesterday, so at least I didn't need to read that again!!

I'm wondering about this family in 1861:

Dawley Green Shropshire.

Levi Mason head mar 36 b Staffs Wolverhampton
Margaret Mason wife mar 26 (??) b Staffs Bilston
Mary Mason dau 2 b Staffs somewhere-I-can't identify

Before I went and fetched my glasses I thought the occs said comedian and comedian's wife, but now I can see, I'm wondering if that was wishful thinking!!

I know a Margaret (Price/Roberts?) may have been Mary's mother and that Mary was b abt 1859 but that wasn't supposed to be in Staffs!

Merry
07-09-14, 07:00
somewhere-I-can't identify

Oh, it does say Moxley, as I had thought, but Parloc hasn't heard of it! It's in Darlaston Staffs which is Walsall district.

KiwiChris
07-09-14, 07:26
I found that one this afternoon Merry and got quite excited. I think it says comedian as well, but I may also be just hopeful. There are some newspaper reports of Levi Mason associated with theatre. I am hanging on to them and hoping something else will match. Marie did say her parents were Leon and Margaret at one of her marriages.

I have looked for all combinations of Mason marriages with Hazlewood and Roberts and all the combinations of names that Mary/Marie used, but no luck so far!

They seem to vanish before and after the census though.

KiwiChris
07-09-14, 07:32
Actually, what I forgot to say is that the son of Alfred Clare Maison Hazlewood was one of the witnesses at the marriage of the son of "Marie Maison" and her last husband, Gianini, The marriage was taken by her son born just before her second marriage, to Forder. Both sons used the surname of the third (so far ;) ) husband Hamilton.

So somewhere there is a link!

kiterunner
07-09-14, 10:32
Before I went and fetched my glasses I thought the occs said comedian and comedian's wife, but now I can see, I'm wondering if that was wishful thinking!!

It seems to say Comeadiean, so could well be supposed to be Comedian. Isn't the boarder in the previous household (George Lees) a Tragedian? Although they are listed as separate households, they are in the same house.

Merry
07-09-14, 12:04
Tragedian

Ah, so that's what it said! I was trying to make it something appropriate, but was put off by the other boarder being a miner!

KiwiChris
07-09-14, 20:13
I have a good feeling about these people! Looking through Gale, Levi Mason and Mrs Mason seem to both be associated with theatre, I cannot find George Lees, the tragedian lodger in the same lists of casts though.

Now I just need to find the Hazlewood connection, maybe another husband for Margaret, and if there is any truth in Marie's list of fathers, he will be Charles Henry or Henry Charles.

Am still stumped on where she gets Roberts from as her name for her first marriage, and Price for a mother's maiden name.

KiwiChris
07-09-14, 20:30
Ooooo in 1877 there is a Henry Charles Hazlewood who is manager of the Theatre Royal and Prince of Wales Concert Hall Wolverhampton!! :D

Update: I think he is actually Henry Colin Hazlewood, he is on the 1871 census as Henry C and the 1891 as Henry Colin. Married to Ruth all that time, and part of a big theatre family, his father is in the National Dictionary of Biography and a son and daughter in law were famous performers in their time.

Merry
07-09-14, 21:48
It's confusing as there's the HC Hazlewood on the 1871 and 1881 census married to Ruth and with (amongst others) a son Henry C b abt 1861 in Birmingham. Then there's this person who died in 1875:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Henry_Hazlewood

There's a death reg in Shoreditch for him.

Merry
07-09-14, 21:52
Re the man on the census - I can't find any registrations for any of his children.

Merry
07-09-14, 21:54
Ruth and Henry Colin are on the 1891 census too.

KiwiChris
07-09-14, 22:03
I think the HC married to Ruth is the theatre manager in Wolverhampton, and he died 1897 and I have seen an obit for him.
The obit says that his father was also Henry Colin and also involved in theatre, and that is the one who died in 1875. He is mentioned in the Dictionary of National Biography, he wrote dramas farces and burlesque.

So if Margaret was involved with one of them, was it the father?? The son seems married to Ruth and with her in 1871, 81 and 91.

Merry
08-09-14, 06:14
Ah, they were also called Fleetwood:

Deaths Jun 1897
Fleetwood Henry C 59 Wolverhampton 6b 358

So the above b abt 1837 whilst the other Henry Colin seems to have been born abt 1823, so one of them (at least!) may be lying about their age if they are father and son.

Anyway, yes, it seems likely Margaret and one of them might have had a relationship unless it was wishful thinking on the part of her dau, Mary.

Actually, one you put the name Colin Fleetwood into the equation there a several of them! Henry Colin Fleetwood married (Mary) Ruth Huggins according to google and that marriage was in 1859, so about the same time Mary Price Roberts was born. As you said, after that HC Hazlewood and Ruth seem to be together until their deaths.

When do you expect that marriage cert to arrive for the other thread? :D

KiwiChris
08-09-14, 06:39
The cert was ordered a week or so ago, not by me as I am not allowed to spend money on this research, but by the great grand daughter of Marie. As soon as I get sent a copy I will post the information believe me!

To be honest I think we are way past what is really required for the clergy research but this family have a firm hold on me because they are so interesting! I cannot let it go and just want to get them all sorted out!

When I found all the newspaper reports of Henry Colin and son I could not work out the age problem either, but everything supports them being father and son, there was also another Colin who took over as theatre manager with the lease being held by the widow Ruth.

I was hoping that I could find the Hazlewood connection after Mason seeing as both Marie and Alf claimed the Hazlewood name.

The problem with theatre people is there is their name and then there is their stage name, and it is hard to work out which is which!

I can find Henry Colin the son, but nothing on the father who was probably the more famous given that he is listed in the Dictionary of National Biography. maybe I start looking for Fleetwood!

Thanks for that!

Edit: Got Henry Colin the elder in 1871 in London, author, he says there he was b 1820 which is getting better age-wise.

Merry
08-09-14, 06:42
To be honest I think we are way past what is really required for the clergy research

lol!!!

Merry
08-09-14, 06:47
I think the father was bap 1819 in London and married a few months before his son was born (to Ellen Huff). The marriage was in June 1837 (so just before civil reg!).

Have to go now!

KiwiChris
08-09-14, 06:52
Well done, thanks.

Merry
08-09-14, 07:22
The National Bio for the father says he had bee a long time separated from his wife in 1865. Ellen (Huff) Hazelwood/Fleetwood is on the 1861 and 1871 census in Marylebone (one as Hellen) (or may have been 1851 and 1861??) without her husband, so I'm thinking it's very much more likely he might have been connected with Margaret Price/Roberts etc.