PDA

View Full Version : Genealogical Christmas Gifts

marquette
24-12-13, 05:42
It's late on Christmas Eve afternoon here in Oz.

What do I want most from Santa ?

A record of the marriage of Robert Martin and Elizabeth Berwick ?

or

A baptism for Sophia Linn ? or Sophia Lee ?

or a one for Christopher Eccles ?

Or even just a burial/death for William Martin.

Any one of the above suddenly appearing in familysearch or other indexes or transcriptions would be a great bonus to my researching, and I have tried every avenue I can find on-line to date with no success.

So fingers crossed Santa might know where the record is, if it exists in some dusty register in England, and he might send me a clue where to look.

Happy Christmas to all my GF friends and fellow addicts !

Diane
Sydney

Merry
24-12-13, 08:00
lol Dianne, let's hope Santa is listening (and that you've been a good girl :):rolleyes:)

I would like Santa to bring (or to let me find) the following:

What happened to my 4xg-aunt, Susannah McCrery, after she was told she must leave her husband in order to claim her inheritance from her father. Also what became of her younger two sons?

Where are my 3xg-grandparents, James and Mary Smith, hiding in 1851 and where was Mary born?

and.....

Where were my 4xg-grandparents, Willliam and Elizabeth Maynard buried?

I'm sure I asked for these last year, but I've tried to be better this year :D:D:D

Shona
24-12-13, 08:17
Who is the Susannah McCrery who marries William Lowden in Liverpool in 1769?

Merry
24-12-13, 08:51
Who is the Susannah McCrery who marries William Lowden in Liverpool in 1769?

Someone who is most likely a different person!

Obviously I can't be 100%, but as well as having a different signature and stating she is a spinster, the biggest problem is that she has another McCrery as a witness and I think that makes it unlikely to be my Susannah.

When my Susannah's husband, Robert McCrery, wrote his will in 1793 he seemed to know his wife was still living as, though he didn't leave her anything, he mentioned that she would be entitled to an army pension as the widow of an officer. I think he must have known her whereabouts as his adult son was in regular communication with Susannah's brother, my 3xg-grandfather.

I hope Santa is taking notes!!

vita
24-12-13, 09:34
Dear Santa,
Can't promise I've been good all year, but if you could manage it I would really like a clue
as to my g/g/grandmother's origins. You see, her maiden name was Ann Williams & I don't
know how I can identify her & eliminate others of that name.I've found a couple of possibilities, but can't be sure.
She had such a short life, dying at just 28 after the birth of her 3rd child, who also failed to
survive.
I often think of her & it would be so good to know who she was & where she came from.
Thank you & Merry Christmas,
Vita.

ElizabethHerts
24-12-13, 10:37
I hope Santa will grant me my request.

I would love to discover the parents and baptism/birth of my 3x-great-grandmother, Sarah Thomason who married my 3-x-great-grandfather Edward White on 28th June 1837 at All Saints, Headley, Hampshire. She had a guardian, Richard Hall, so I assume her parents were dead. She was only 27 when she died in 1843 so she was born c. 1816.

Merry
24-12-13, 15:43
lol re the date of her marriage!!

ElizabethHerts
24-12-13, 16:54
Yes, Merry, she could have waited a week. It was very inconsiderate of them. Also, she could have hung on until the 1851 census so I could have an inkling of her place of birth.

tenterfieldjulie
25-12-13, 10:53
Well I just want to find who my husband's ancestor Mary Callow was? Everyone thinks they know who she was, but we know different. She couldn't have been transported to Australia and married and still living in Norfolk at the same time .. according to Kate finding them in the Censuses.. so did she use a false name? Trouble alive or dead .. Julie

HarrysMum
26-12-13, 08:30
I've given up asking Santa to help me with FH.

I did get a lovely "Happy Christmas" email from The Genealogist telling me that as a long term subscriber I am entitled to the online copy of "Discover Your Ancestors" monthly for the next year....all free.

Thank you.

Now if only Ancestry could give their subscribers a pressie instead of making us find new email addresses to take up "new subscriber" deals.....lol

Phoenix
26-12-13, 10:34
I want the Tardis. I'm not unreasonable: I'd just like to rerun a few conversations again: with Great Aunty Gert who burnt all the family papers and Great Aunty Kitty who didn't know (nor did I at the time!) that her granny had had not one but two illegitimate sons and Mum, to tell her everything I've discovered since she died.

Merry
26-12-13, 10:51
My Great Aunty Gert went to America when she was 80 and left all her family possessions for the neighbours to get rid of!

We both need the Tardis to visit these aunts before they do the bad deed so we can steal anything important.

Phoenix
26-12-13, 11:35
My Great Aunty Gert went to America when she was 80 and left all her family possessions for the neighbours to get rid of!

We both need the Tardis to visit these aunts before they do the bad deed so we can steal anything important.

:eek::eek::eek:

Well, Great Aunty Kitty was "persuaded" to give her wedding ring to her grandchildren as she returned to England from Canada in her nineties.

Olde Crone
26-12-13, 13:58
I am very happy to be thought unreasonable, as long as the two Jane Holdens, both born 1800 in Wheelton, both of parents James and Margaret, both James farmers, can be persuaded to give themselves unique identifying numbers. Whatever it takes.

And whilst in bullying, even TORTURING, mode...who really WAS James Holden's father, have I found the answer or not (again, unique iden tifiers will help, thanks Santa, you can tattoo them on if you like).

OC

HarrysMum
26-12-13, 19:14
Well, if we are trying for the impossible........I'd love to find what planet Hugh Addison came from.

Rick
26-12-13, 19:36
I'd quite like to tag along on the Tardis trip please, if there's room :)

Could we drop in on my great grandmother on a Friday evening down the Shepherd's Bush Empire, buy her a drink or two and ask her a few questions ? I suggest we get there early, before she went on to sing, as she was reputed to be rather errrr "formidable" after a few drinks.

All I'd like to know is...

Was Margaret Lynch really her birth name and was she born in Ireland as she told everyone, or Bradford as it says on the 1911.

Was her father really Joseph Thomas Patrick Lynch ? Why did her daughter say the man she called her father wasn't really and had "taken her in" ?

Was she really a circus bareback rider ? Was the father of her illegitimate son really the leading horseman Alfred Leon from the Carre Dutch Royal Circus and what happened to him ?

Did she have just the four children I know about, or the 11 (including two sets of twins) which she claimed in a speech at a wedding. What happened to them all ?

How did she manage to avoid being on the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census and why were both her own and her son's birth's never registered ?

Who was the Joseph Thomas Patrick Lynch who lived 2 streets from her at one point in Fulham and was also born in Bradford, but is too young to be her father and where was he before the 1901 census ?

That doesn't sound unreasonable to me either !

tenterfieldjulie
26-12-13, 20:42
Rick, They say fact is stranger than fiction .. and I think your great granny takes the cake .. for me I'd like to sort the two Anns who married John Ware blacksmith at Chesham less than 10 days apart .. Was the vicar or clerk confused .. or did it really happen? If so which is the mother of my ancestor ..

Rick
26-12-13, 21:36
Rick, They say fact is stranger than fiction .. and I think your great granny takes the cake .. for me I'd like to sort the two Anns who married John Ware blacksmith at Chesham less than 10 days apart .. Was the vicar or clerk confused .. or did it really happen? If so which is the mother of my ancestor ..

LOL Julie ! Her daughter, my great aunt, is an "interesting read" too. I think I'll put my most recent info on Margaret Lynch up on the Research Questions Forum to see if anyone can make sense of it. It's a good story, I just don't know what's true and what isn't !!

This thread probably highlights it's time to revisit a few brick walls !!

tenterfieldjulie
27-12-13, 08:09
Yes it is always worth another try.

JBee
27-12-13, 08:44
As Christmas has now passed can I join the queue for the Tardis please.

So many of my ancestors came from Ireland - North or South? no idea.

Looking for births in Ireland of

James Farmer bc1799 - parents Hugh Farmer & Helen McBryde/McBride

Daniel Barr b c1837 - father John
Hugh Kirk bc1845 - father Peter

Francis McQuade/McQuaid/McQuid or whatever b c1840
Bridget Sands bc1842 - said Cork in 1901 census but could be Cook
haven't found marriage of those two so don't know the parents names.

Have found the McPaden, Paden, Paddon, etc etc in Co Leitrim.

In England looking for the birth of

William Brown bc1800 Tweedmouth?? Northumberland

John McKenzie/McKursey etc bc1819 in Appleby, Kendal, Standish, in Westmoreland.

In Scotland looking for the birth of

Duncan Shaw or McGilthighnich born sometime in 1700's in Argyll married in 1791 in Rothesay., Bute but could have been 2nd marriage - son of Archibald McGilthighnich

there's loads more I just wish I could find - some please after you with the tardis!!!!

Joy Dean
27-12-13, 20:50
Please, Santa, this year, or next, I don't mind :)

Please tell me where and when Mary Ann Dyball died, what happened to Joseph Barber Brooks after 1834, and where did Isaac Newton (born in 1878 Hughenden, Buckinghamshire) go after 1902 (he was in the Militia Reserve from 1896 to 1902).