PDA

View Full Version : Help with Galway / Galloway family please

kiterunner
07-01-13, 12:56
I seem to be going round in circles with this lot and could use some help!
As far as I know, they aren't related to my Galway family but maybe if I get back far enough, they will turn out to be...

Henry Galloway married Janet Honeyman 26 Jun 1857 in Dundee, Angus. He was 20, a bachelor, residence Rose St, Dundee, his parents James Galloway deceased and Ann Galloway, MS Bevers. She was 18, a spinster, residence Smithfield, Dundee, parents Thomas Honeyman and Agnes Honeyman MS Miller. Both Henry and Janet were weavers. Witnesses John Morrison and James Nicolson.

Ann Galloway was born 25 Jan 1858 at 13 Rose Street, Dundee, parents Henry Galloway, a flax handloom weaver, and Janet Galloway, maiden name Honeyman.

Then FamilySearch has these births in Kerry, Ireland:
[B]Albert Egbert Gallway born 21 Apr 1874, parents Henry Gallway and Janet Honeyman
James Cecil Gallway born 2 Nov 1878, parents Henry Gallway and Janet Honneyman Gallway.

There is a Jannet Honeyman in Dundee on the 1841 census age 2, with a Jannet Alexander age 40 and Betty Honeyman age 2, according to ancestry. Also a Janet Herniman age 1 with John Fraser, Hellon Dick and Robert Davidson. On the 1851 census there is a Jessie Hodeyman (according to both ancestry and FMP) age 11 born Dundee, visiting a family called Fitzgerald.

I haven't managed to find Henry Gall(o)way on a census yet.

There is quite a gap between the births of Ann and Albert. I'm wondering whether some or all of these could be the same family:
Worldwide Army Index (FMP): Henry Galway no 2521, private in the 104th Foot (Bengal Fusiliers) at Meerut (India).

And from FamilySearch:
William Henry Galloway born 26 Jul 1862 and baptised 14 Aug 1862 Meerut, Bengal, India, parents Henry and Jessie.
Janet Galway born 11 Sep 1864 and baptised 18 Oct 1864 Bareilly, Bengal, India, parents Henry and Janet.
Edward Gallway born 2 Sep 1866 and baptised 13 Oct 1866 Jhansi, Bengal, India, parents Henry and Janet.

Can anyone find Henry before the marriage (to get his birthplace) or find what happened to any of the above people, please? Or find something to prove or disprove the theory that the couple in India are the same people as the couple in Dundee and then in Kerry?

kiterunner
07-01-13, 13:18
Typing it all out helped me go in a new direction!

There is an Albert E Galway on the 1911 census of Canada, not very easy to make out but his age looks like 30, born Ireland. Birth month is April.

And looking at the 1891 Canadian census, there is this family in Dundas, Ontario, all born Ireland except for Clara who is born Ontario:
Galway Henry 50 Labourer
Charlotte 29 Wife
Albert 17 Son Labourer
James C 12 Son
George 9 Son
Walmer 7 Son
Charlotte 4 Daughter
Clara 1 Daughter.

So this must surely be the Henry who was married to Janet Honeyman, because of the sons Albert and James C. Charlotte must be a second wife. But is it the same Henry who served in India?

kiterunner
07-01-13, 13:28
Okay, looking back at Ireland, there is a death registration for Janet Galway Oct-Dec 1878 Tralee district, age 38, and a possible marriage between Henry Gallway and Charlotte Phillips Jan-Mar 1881 Belfast. Then birth regs for George Jan-Mar 1882 Belfast, Walmere Jul-Sep 1883 (died the same month age 0) and another Oct-Dec 1884, both Belfast, and Charlotte Jan-Mar 1887 Lisburn.

Then there is a birth registration for Clara in Dundas, Ontario, dob 13 Mar 1890, parents Henry Gallway and Charlotte Phillips.

But I'm still looking for a link with the India family...

kiterunner
07-01-13, 13:40
Here they are (apart from Henry) travelling to Quebec in 1888 on the "Carthaginian":

Carthaginian Jul 1888 to Quebec:
Mrs C Gallway Matron
Albert E " Child
Cecil " Child
Geo " Child
Walmere " Child
Charlotte " Infant
Eliza Phillips Spins

Ann born in Dundee and the children born in India would all be adults by that time (if they didn't die young) so the fact that they aren't with the rest doesn't really prove anything one way or the other.

kiterunner
07-01-13, 13:53
Then arriving at Liverpool in Oct 1896 from Montreal, Quebec, we have:
Henry Gallway 41
Margt(?) Wife 34
Geo 12
W 11
Charlotte 9
Clara 4

I wonder where they went next! (And who Margt is, possibly Charlotte with a different name)

Shona
07-01-13, 14:32
In 1911, Annie E Gallway, single, 53, born Dundee, is the lady superintendent at a convalescent home, Highdale Road, Belmont, Cleveden.

Not sure that helps much, but it looks like Henry and Janet's daughter.

kiterunner
07-01-13, 14:33
I'm just off out, but before I go, I have found them in Ireland in 1901 (wife is Charlotte) and it looks as though he could be the same Henry as the one in India as his occupation in 1901 is Labourer - Army Pensioner Infantry. Birthplace is Co Tyrone and Charlotte's is Co Down.

Still need something to prove that the Dundee / Ireland / Canada / Ireland family is the same Henry as the one who served in India.

kiterunner
07-01-13, 14:33
In 1911, Annie E Gallway, single, 53, born Dundee, is the lady superintendent at a convalescent home, Highdale Road, Belmont, Cleveden.

Not sure that helps much, but it looks like Henry and Janet's daughter.

Thanks for that, Shona, will look into it when I get back from the shops.

kiterunner
07-01-13, 16:08
I can't find Ann(ie) on any other census at all! Still looking!

Henry and Charlotte are still at Ballyaghlis, Drumbeg, Co Down in 1911, Henry age 66, Army Pensioner and Sub-Postmaster, Charlotte 50, married 30 years, 6 children, 3 still living, daughters Clara 21 and Evelyne 9.

kiterunner
07-01-13, 16:50
Found Edward Gallway on the 1891 census at Twickenham, Middlesex, Sergeant, Single, 25, Sergeant Infantry, born Bengal East Indies. He's in army accommodation. But just as with his father Henry, I can't find his army papers on FMP.

Shona
07-01-13, 17:18
I've been trying to see if lookiing into the military movements of the regiment can help. With the OH's g-grandfather, I found it really helpful to do this. OH's g-grandfather was born in Tipperary and died in Belfast. The births of the children tied in with where he was based. So here goes...

104th REGIMENT

The Regiment became Her Majesty's 104th Regiment of Foot (Bengal Fusiliers).

1861-1869
Over the ensuing years the regiment saw service at Goorkulpore, Meerut, Bareilly, two years at Jhansi during which time furnished detachments for Fort Gwalior and Seepree.

William Henry was born in Meerut, 1862
Janet born in Bareilly in 1864
Edward born in Jhansi in 1866

While the regiment was at Peshawar it suffered badly from fever, in consequence of an outbreak of cholera left the cantonment and marched to Chumkunnie eight miles away.

7 May 1871
At Allahabad - order received for the regiment to proceed to England. The regiment prepared for it's move to Bombay in preparation for embarkation for England.

11 Nov 1871
Proceeded to Port of Bombay and embarked on H.M. Troopship Malabar. Arrived Aden on the 22nd, Suez on the 28th, Port Said on the 30th, Malta on the 5th December, Gibraltar on the 12th.

16 Dec 1871
Following their arrival at Portsmouth and transfer to barracks at Forts Grange and Gomer near Gosport, the regiment was given rest and recreation.

1 Jan 1872
Regiment was placed on the strength of the Home Establishment.

15 August 1872
Regiment moved into Cambridge Barracks at Portsmouth.

There is a gap in the births of the children from 1866 until 1874. I wonder if Henry and Janet had any children in England during this period?

17 May 1873
In consequence of the new system of formation of Brigade Depots, a detachment was sent to Tralee, County Kerry Ireland, to form portion of the 70th Brigade Depot.

I haven't been able to establish how long the detachment remained in Kerry, but we have the births of Albert in 1874 and James in 1878. Janet died in 1878 in Tralee.

19 June 1873
Regiment was moved to Aldershot barracks where the first recruits under the new system joined on 26 August.

1 August 1874
Moved to Dover by train and took part in autumn manoeuvres between Dover and Shorncliffe. Remained at Dover until 1875.

25 May 1875
Embarked in transport ship sssistance for the Channel Islands - four companies to Alderney and and companies to Guernsey. Remained there until 1877.

31 May 1877
Regiment embarked on transport assistance for Ireland, arriving Kingstown on 3 June, entrained for the Curragh, proceeding to Parsonstown, Kings County in August.

15 April 1878
Regiment proceeded to Belfast, detachment to Carrickfergus. Remained in Belfast throughout 1879.

This could have been when Henry met Charlotte.

20 March 1880
Regiment left Belfast for Dublin, quartered in Richmond Barracks, then moving to the Curragh on 6 December.

1881 Regiment merged with 101st to form the Royal Munster Rifles.

Henry has children with Charlotte in Belfast in 1882, 1883 and 1884, and in Lisburn in 1887.

There is still that niggle about Henry marrying in Dundee, but he was Irish, so there is a logic in him joining and Irish regiment.

kiterunner
07-01-13, 18:02
Ooh, that fits really well with the Dundee / Ireland / Canada Henry, doesn't it? Thanks, Shona!

Shona
07-01-13, 18:23
No probs - it's a technique I've had to use for the OH's family. If I hadn't, I would never have matched births in the Channel Islands, Dover, Portsmouth and Sheerness with a former shoemaker named John Ryan from Tipperary!

Going to have a look at Ros Davies Co Down Genealogy pages to see if there are any clues there.

Shona
07-01-13, 18:31
Ballyaughlis is a townland in northern County Down, on the outskirts of South Belfast. Ballyaughlis is a designated settlement within the Lagan Valley Regional Park within the Lisburn area.

So this fits with the census, marriage in Belfast and the births of the children in Belfast and Lisburn.

kiterunner
07-01-13, 18:40
If my contact orders a copy of, say, Albert Egbert Gallway's birth certificate from the Irish GRO or views it at a FamilySearch Centre, hopefully it will give details of his military regiment and rank and perhaps number, to match against the details on the Indian records.

kiterunner
07-01-13, 18:42
Ballyaughlis is a townland in northern County Down, on the outskirts of South Belfast. Ballyaughlis is a designated settlement within the Lagan Valley Regional Park within the Lisburn area.

So this fits with the census, marriage in Belfast and the births of the children in Belfast and Lisburn.

Right, thanks.

kiterunner
07-01-13, 19:23
Ooh, I just found William Hy Galloway age 48, born India, in Bangor, Co Down, on the 1911 Irish census! Have to go and eat now, though.

kiterunner
07-01-13, 22:04
So this is William Henry in 1911 at Seacliffe Road, Bangor, Co Down:
William Hy Galloway Head 48 Manager & Linen Yarn Salesman Married born East Indies
Mary E Galloway Wife 48 Married 30 yrs, 4 children, 3 living, born Co Cork
Sydney Hy H Galloway Son 28 Bank Clerk Single born Belfast
William Robert Galloway Son 25 Handkerchief Salesman (wholesale) Single born Belfast.

And in 1901 at Dufferin Avenue, Bangor, Co Down:
William Hy Galloway Head 38 Linen Yarn Salesman Married born India
Mary E Galloway Wife 40 Married born Co Cork
Henry Sydney Galloway Son 18 Bank Clerk Not Married born Belfast City
Edith Mary Galloway Daughter 17 Scholar Not Married born Belfast City
Robert W Galloway Son 16 Apprentice Linen Trade Not Married born Belfast City.

There are a few possibles for William and Mary's marriage if he didn't use his middle name, or there is a marriage for William Henry Galway Apr-Jun 1880 Tralee district with a couple of possible brides called Mary.

Shona
07-01-13, 22:22
Have you had a look at the Lennon Wylie site, Kite? It has transcriptions of Belfast street directories - tracked a few of the OH's tribe thanks to that site. Using my phone at the mo, so v diff to read the info.

kiterunner
07-01-13, 22:37
They have lots of Belfast street directories on the PRONI site too now, Shona:
Search the Street Directories (http://streetdirectories.proni.gov.uk/app/WebObjects/StreetDirectories.woa/1/wo/zYLP5GUSZGB8nYoccyHyNg/0.0.0.0.1.5)

The 1884 directory has Galloway, Wm H, clerk, at 2 Perth St.
There is a Henry Galway listed at 13 Bristol st but he is a steward. But our Henry would likely have been living in barracks, wouldn't he?

kiterunner
08-01-13, 07:37
I've found Ann on the 1901 census - in Ireland. Annie Gallway, 42, not married, born Dundee Scotland, housekeeper to a family called Jaffe at Sydenham Avenue, Victoria, Co Down.

Also a couple of entries from the Irish GRO indexes:

Birth registration for Eveline Gallway Oct-Dec 1901 Lisburn.
Death registration for Henry Gallway Apr-Jun 1918 Lisburn, age 72.