Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 11-05-24, 19:39

Default Charles Arthur Samuel Cooper

It was not until 2020 (34 years after I started researching and 27 years after my father's death) that I discovered he and my uncle had had, technically at least, a step brother. Whether they knew this or not, I have no way of knowing, but certainly I was always told that his step mother had no children of her own.

Mary Ann Hayward and Samuel Martin Cooper were married in Leicester in the June Quarter of 1902 and Charles Alfred Samuel Cooper was born, also in Leicester, in the December Quarter of that year.

I found out about him because he was his mother's residual legatee and in her Will made at the end of the 1940s, not long before her death in December 1949, his address is given as 38 Exeter Street, Lyttleton, New Zealand.

I now have:

(1) The 1911 Census, where he is with his mother in his grandparents' house at Birstall, Leicestershire.

(2) a medal card for him from WW1, which is going some considering he was only just 16 when it finished. It would appear he was a merchant seaman, but I can't find anything else.

(3) His marriage in 1924, somewhere in New Zealand, to Elizabeth Muir McNaughtan, who was born in the Gorbals in September 1903 and emigrated to New Zealand between 1911 and 1915.

(4) The 1928 electoral roll which has him at 500 Madras Street, Christchurch North. He is described as 'seaman'.

(4) 1942 ballot list, which has him at 38a Winchester Street, Lyttleton and again described as seaman.

(5) A grave in Canterbury Memorial Gardens, which says he died on 11 April 1993.

Trawling through trees on Ancestry it looks as though he and Bessie had two sons. Charles William Cooper was born in 1925 and sadly died in 1927, but his brother Victor Martin Cooper, born in 1926, lived on until 2003.

Trees on Ancestry are sketchy, but it looks as though Victor and his late wife Denise, who married in 1953, may well have children and grandchildren, but it looks as though information online about BMDs is pretty much limited to the deceased, so I seem to have reached a dead end.

Unless of course, you have a better idea.
Old 11-05-24, 20:15
Administrator

NZ BMD only have births 100 years ago unless the person has died and is beyond a certain age, which escapes me.
Libraries have more records on microfische and if there are any children their births would be there, but with a name like Cooper finding the right births would be impossible as it is only the newborn name and not the parents

Victor and Denise moved to Blenheim and then the Wellington area

Earlier electoral rolls have no children at the same address as them but 1987 there is a possible son and he is still there through to 2002
Denise Isabella last appears on an electoral roll 1995 and is gone 1998
She died 1996, b 13 May 1930

I have found a possible address for the son, let me know if you want it and I will PM it as he is likely still alive.

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 11-05-24, 20:24
Administrator

No, cancel some of that, I have the name for the son but the address is for someone with the same 2 Christian names but the other way around, and a similar occupation! I will PM you the name though!

Edit to say I have looked for a will for Victor Martin to see if that names his children, and although there is one, it has not been digitalised, so no help there.

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 12-05-24, 09:30

I never know how to reply to private messages but thank you very much!

That gives me a start.