Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-12-12, 18:43

Default People who have no issue with copying other trees without checking info!

I spent Christmas day at my sister in law's house. When we arrived, I was introduced to her future husband's father. Future brother in law says to his dad "oh dad, this is Claire, you two have something in common as you are both doing your family trees". The father (who was a right bah humbug!) looks at me and asks how far back i've got. I say depends on which line. Some not far and on a couple in to the late 1700s. The father says well i've got back to the 1500s. At this point, my husband says wow thats impressive, how did you research that? The father says well its easy as I just copied a tree online! I look at him and as politely as I could asked how he knew the info was accurate. He just told me I was being stupid, ate his dinner and left!

I really cannot believe that people think its ok to copy stuff without actually checking if its accurate. I suppose there are plenty more out there though that do it.