Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 09-04-24, 07:25
Administrator

Who are these people in your last post, Belinda? They look like a variation of the people we have been researching, but not the same people and no Richard.

I found the marriage of Catherine to Jonathan Sawer in 1852 in Westminster and that said Catherine's father was James a mariner. I checked the 1861 census for Jonathan and Catherine Sawer to see when and where she was born - Saltash, Cornwall in about 1830. I found Catherine on the 1851 census (same place of birth etc) in Aldeburgh, Suffolk and she was with her parents - they were James Jago 46 a coastguard from Ipswich Suffolk and Jane 48 from Saltash Cornwall. James and Jane had two children born after civil registration began so I looked at their birth registrations (George 1840 Isle of Wight and James 1843 Romney Marsh) and they both had mmn Blake, so as you said, most likely the parents were the couple who married in 1827 in Plymouth.

But I don't know why you are looking at this family if you are descended from Richard Curtis Blake bap 1832?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-04-24, 09:16

I think I am getting confused with the Blake / Jago mix. I know Richard was born before Anne & Johns marriage . I will right down everything you have said . Thanks you so much
Old 09-04-24, 10:14
Administrator

If you mean Richard was born before John and JANE married (not Ann) - I don't think John and Jane ever married. John was married to Jane's mother from 1829 until her death in 1847. No sign of a marriage between John and Jane after that.

In any case, marrying a step-parent was forbidden, so John and Jane would not have been able to marry anywhere they were known. I expect this was the main reason they didn't marry, even if John was the father of Jane's younger children.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010