Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 27-12-09, 20:54

I've just checked on the GRO website and as long as you've got full details of the event, you can order a copy of the adoption certificate. However, as it only contains post-adoption information, it probably won't contain anything that you don't already know.
Old 27-12-09, 20:59

I don't know if this helps or hinders, or indeed is completely irrelevant, lol, but official adoption did not start until 1927, even though the law was passed in 1926. So, if you have a CofA dated 1928, then he must have been nearly two when he was adopted (in other words, not at birth).

As Mandy points out, the Law is designed to ensure that there is NO link between birth certificate and adoption. Only the Registrar General can access that information and that link is only ever available to the adopted person.

I THINK (but will bear correction!) that anyone can get a copy of the adoption cert because it will not tell you anything you do not already know.

OC
Old 27-12-09, 23:33

In this case though the adoption cert will confirm exactly who adopted Derek and when.

I don't know how to help you Joan but do read your threads with interest.

If we suspect Derek was adopted within the family do we think his first name was changed? If so has anyone had a look at ancestry to see if any Derek Malcolm's were born in the right quarter?

What I don't understand is why Wicks wanted to adopt in the first place.

As for Derek's son write again and say you know little about the family but would like to find out what you can be it good, bad or indifferent. Could he please tell you what his father, and mother, may have said about his parents, grandparents etc. Even anecdotes will make the family feel more real.
Old 28-12-09, 06:22
Muggins in Sussex

Thank you for all your advice I will apply for the Adoption Cert on the offchance it tells me something new, and will write to the son again.

I have looked on Ancestry for Derek Malcolms and nothing stands out - but as Kit says, his forename may have been changed, too.

I've no idea why Wicks wanted to adopt children - he doesn't strike me as the fatherly type-LOL! it caused my grandmother so much distress when he snatched her daughter.

I do have Derek Malcolm's death cert. There was an inquest and a verdict of accidental death was returned. He had been "struck by a private motor car in street".

HW subsequently alleged on several occassions that this was no accident and that his son had been murdered.

I have read newspaper reports of the incident and am sure it was simply an accident - HW fantasizing again!! LOL
Old 28-12-09, 07:36

I dont think the adoption cert will tell you anything you dont already know.
Who knows if his name was changed? ~You can look at Derek Malcome's until you are blue in the face. You still wont know because even if you send for a likely cert and it says

father Fred Bloggs mother Florence Bloggs nee Flippertyjibbert,

you still wont know its your man
Old 28-12-09, 07:55

Jess if Derek was adopted from within the family the birth surname may stand out, assuming Derek was the birth name. If he wasn't adopted within the family or it is too distant a relative then it wont help.
Old 28-12-09, 09:25
Administrator

It's a pity the birth indexes for his year don't have middle names - I bet a lot of those Derek Ms were Derek Michael or Derek Matthew or whatever.

I wondered if he might have kept his forenames as he was older when adopted? You could try looking for deaths of other Derek M Wicks who were born a the right time to eliminate some of those birth records, but it would probably just be an exercise in making the list a bit shorter, whilst imagining his name may have been changed anyway!

What a pity he didn't say he was born in some obscure village!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 29-12-09, 06:16
Muggins in Sussex

Thanks for your replies.

The one thing I do have is an exact date of birth - but that is about it!

Merry yes, I guess he may have kept his forenames - or he may have originally been just Derek - (no Malcolm), as that is how he apears in the passenger list in 1927, when he is travelling with Caroline Wicks! --eek