Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 09-04-17, 14:06

Default Ftm 2017

Is anyone else waiting for the 2017 upgrade?

It was supposed to be released on March 31st. I don't whether I'm concerned about how many issues they have found that have delayed the release, or frustrated because I wanted it a week ago.
Old 09-04-17, 18:44

Yes I am, Terri. My last word from them was on the 2nd of April. I don't think the delay is necessarily because of the number of issues they've found (at least I hope not), but rather that the testing always requires more time than the higher-ups had planned for.

I'm impatient like you, but having been a programmer myself I know that the consequences of releasing it with bugs in it can be unspeakable. I'd a thousand times rather wait for the developers to prove as best they can to themselves that their code is not going to create a monster. I actually appreciate that some stalwart blurted out "Stop!"

It could still turn out a disaster, of course, but in the best of all possible worlds we'll soon be rewarded for our patience with a bright shiny new well-functioning toy. Hope so, anyway!

Janet (Niagara)
Old 10-04-17, 16:33

Hi Janet. I check the updates every day ....... doesn't look like it's going to appear this week anyway.

Have you seen the price of FTM from new? £79!!!!!!! Jeez!!!! I think I paid £29 for my first one, many years ago.
Old 21-04-17, 03:52

Terri, I was reading a back issue of Lost Cousins where he explains that the delay has been due to issues with FamilySync, FTM2017’s replacement for TreeSync. The results of their stress tests have not been as brilliant as they would like before releasing the new build. If everyone gets on and tries to sync at once they're afraid it could cause the whole of Ancestry to crash. They say that for large trees their sync is 8 times faster than the old TreeSync, but apparently not quite up to snuff yet.

They're now making arrangements for those with urgent needs to get their hands on the product right away, by offering an imminent "test drive" to the first 25,000 to sign up, but I won't be jumping on any Beta bandwagon myself.

This is probably the same update you've been following, but for others (and so I can find it again myself):
Mackiev support: Release of FTM 2017

Janet (Niagara)
Old 26-04-17, 12:35

I received an email the other day asking if I wanted to be a beta tester for a week. There was a questionnaire and if eligible I would get to use ftm 2017 for the week and thereafter. They are rolling out this new beta testing to about 25000 a week. I didn't take them up on it as I don't sync my tree and that seemed to be something they wanted me to do.

To me though it sounds like they are slowly releasing it.
Old 27-04-17, 12:27

I've now had 4 emails asking me if I want to beta test FTM. I'm getting more and more tempted, but I don't have a huge tree and I don't sync that often these days.

*sigh* fgs let me acquire some patience, lol.
Old 27-04-17, 12:57
Administrator

I wonder whether they would actually check up on whether you synced your tree or not if you signed up for the beta test, Terri? If you do take it up, make sure to back your tree up first.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 02-05-17, 07:14

I'm not sure if you need to give feedback. I know the people doing major beta testing, as opposed to the recent emails that were sent out, had to provide details of things.
Old 03-05-17, 08:02

I've decided to wait, it can't be much longer!
Old 04-05-17, 02:45

Hope so, Terri! And if it is a lot longer it can only mean there was a bigger issue than anyone knew, so I think you'll thank yourself for waiting. I'm over here cooling my jets too.

Janet (Niagara)