Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 04-04-10, 07:49
Muggins in Sussex

Default After the Z

What are the births that appear in the birth indices right at the end, after Zs, where only initials are given for the babies' surnames ? And some have no name at all

eg http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/..._b19191az-1257

They look so sad - like an afterthought
Old 04-04-10, 11:10
Administrator

Do you mean the ones that are listed as surname 'Unknown'? I would imagine they are foundlings or similar, given forenames by the authorities.

In earlier years there are sometimes literally hundreds of unknowns in the birth and death records. Deaths are all ages and some people are listed with what would appear to be nicknames like Old Tom or Peg Jake etc. Sad that no one knew their real names. In older burial records there are usually a smattering of burials for 'a stranger'.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-04-10, 11:23
Muggins in Sussex

Thanks Merry

Yes, that is what I mean, I think - in the years I looked at, most are listed with a forename and initial -eg Mary P. or Mary P.G., and some are just listed as "male" or "female".

I just wondered where the initials for the surnames came from, if that makes sense.

It is very sad to look at them
Old 04-04-10, 13:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post

Yes, that is what I mean, I think - in the years I looked at, most are listed with a forename and initial -eg Mary P. or Mary P.G., and some are just listed as "male" or "female".
I took it that those were initials of more forenames and they had no surname. Surely if they had a surname they would be listed under it?

I expect the 'just male' or 'just female' ones had died by the time they were registered, so there was no 'need' to name them.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-04-10, 07:30
Muggins in Sussex

Thanks Merry - I see what you mean - I don't know why I assumed the initals were for surnames! - Just being dim I expect LOL!