Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 11-10-12, 21:49

I don't really watch many of these (I can get sound from tv but have to make up my own pictures!) largely because I have heard too many people telling me how they were made. In the ealy ones you could focus on clothes & cars, to work out the order in which the programmes were filmed: usually not the order in which the facts were presented.

Personal favourites were:
seeing Paxman cry and learning how East Anglian ag labs might have got to the mill towns

John Hurt - because he was so wrong in what he thought about his family and we got to see some Croydon records actually returned to Croydon.

Kevin Whateley - because the portrait of his ancestor was so spookily like him. A Sutton historian appears in one shot of that programme. The Sutton archivist quizzed him with his brush with celebrity, but he had been so engrossed in his own researches, he hadn't noticed any unusual activity!
Old 11-10-12, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Kevin Whateley - because the portrait of his ancestor was so spookily like him. A Sutton historian appears in one shot of that programme. The Sutton archivist quizzed him with his brush with celebrity, but he had been so engrossed in his own researches, he hadn't noticed any unusual activity!
Was that the Bank of England connection?
Old 11-10-12, 23:04

Probably! There were records at LMA, before its revamp, I think, so going back a long time ago.
Old 12-10-12, 07:28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
What is the opposite of eidetic memory?

Me! Looking up eidetic memory because I can't remember what eidetic memory is!

EDIT: In my own defense I suppose I should point out that we would call it photographic memory, and I can indeed remember what that is even though I don't have it.
A photographic memory involves viisual memory only. An eidetic memory involves all the senses. I also have neither!! lol TBH I only came across the word 'eidetic' via a TV sit-com!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-10-12, 07:44

There's a lot I either didn't watch or have forgotten but I really enjoyed the Annie Lennox one this series and also Jane Horrocks from a long time ago. Although they both irritated me initially, I found the Esther Rantzen and David Tennant ones moving.

Because they shared some similar ancestry to me, I remember the Barbara Windsor and Patsy Kensit ones very well and found them fascinating but my favourite was the Julia Sawalha one because I discovered we were very distant cousins.

Unlike everyone else apparently I couldn't stand the Colin Jackson one - he riled me all the way through and then compounded it in the insensitive way he told his mother about something horrible he'd discovered - even though I can't remember what it was!
Old 12-10-12, 08:16

Ooh, I remember the Jane Horrocks one, because the presenters got their facts wrong!

They said one child had died in a certain way, because it fitted the facts of what they wanted to say, but didn't get the cert. Someone on GR actually did get the cert (they were cheaper in those days!) and found she died of something entirely different!
Old 16-10-12, 12:38
Administrator

This week's episode (John Barnes) is now being billed as episode 9 of 9, and some other series is in its place next week (Brazil with Michael Palin.) So it seems the John Bishop episode has either been dropped or held over till the next series.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 16-10-12, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
This week's episode (John Barnes) is now being billed as episode 9 of 9, and some other series is in its place next week (Brazil with Michael Palin.) So it seems the John Bishop episode has either been dropped or held over till the next series.
Shame - I was looking forward to his episode. He seemed very chufffed to have been chosen and was enthusiastic about what he found.
Old 17-10-12, 21:12

Having just watched tonight's episode on John Barnes, I feel that this series has been very poor on the whole and that something is lacking overall.

I'm wondering if there are budget restraints this time and that is why they tend to concentrate on just one or two ancestors.

OC
Old 17-10-12, 21:15

I would have liked to have known more about Stephen Hill. How did he become a journo?