Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 16-08-12, 10:55

It is worth remembering that in the programme they did state that Beatrice Garraud was Alexander Cunningham Ryan's 'partner' not wife. So indicates he and she never formally married. Alexander and his wife Beatrice Pickford are living apart in 1911 - so perhaps the marriage broke up around the time of his imprisonment - may have been a factor as to why he was stealing instruments and pawning them.
Old 16-08-12, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post

Given the unusual nature of the surname Garraud, I wonder who is Edward Garraud who marries in 1910 to Sarah Sellers?

OC
Its only uncommon in England! I'm not saying that they're not related but the name itself is not particularly rare in France
Old 16-08-12, 10:59

Ah, thanks WoozleWife I must have missed the partner bit! I'll stop looking for a marriage now.

OC
Old 16-08-12, 11:01

AshkeJ -

I did mean it is uncommon in England, sorry if I didn't make that clear. As there is only a handful of Garraud events in the UK I think it quite likely they were related. I was also wondering if Pierre didn't actually die, just moved on.

OC
Old 16-08-12, 11:03

I have to say that I was slightly disappointed that they didn't mention Pierre in more detail. I know the research is all done before they film, but had I been researching my own family and found a French connection then I'd've been more interested initially in tracing that line, and finding why he'd left France, and who the family was there, rather than looking at the Ryder family.

I'd also like to have seen more on the Finkles, with maybe her meeting up with one/some (as they have done in several previous episodes).

And maybe this is just me ... but I kind of miss when the celebrities do their 'report' back to the family members (as per Jane Horrocks, Stephen Fry, etc)

But I have to say that I enjoyed this episode very much - possibly because of Samantha's energy and obvious amount of care (ignoring the copious amounts of hair flicking that had me screaming 'Get a grip!'). I hope that the other episodes will be as interesting. Some of the episodes in previous series' seemed to be a bit lacklustre!
Old 16-08-12, 11:06
Administrator

Yes, I agree with all that, AshkeJ. Some episodes seem to be padded out because there is nothing much to talk about, but this one could have had so much more added!

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 16-08-12, 11:11
Administrator

Jessie Finkle is listed in a 1949 directory of Paterson, New Jersey, as widow of Harry, living with her son Harry jr:

City Directory

I don't think it is very easy to find New Jersey deaths online, or at least I have never managed to find deaths for my relatives there, but the city directories can give some clues. In fact, sometimes a city directory will give the date of death.

Still there in 1952 but none of them are there in 1957.

Old 16-08-12, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
AshkeJ -

I did mean it is uncommon in England, sorry if I didn't make that clear. As there is only a handful of Garraud events in the UK I think it quite likely they were related. I was also wondering if Pierre didn't actually die, just moved on.

OC
Oh no, I agree - it is uncommon in England!

Gosh - and there really are very few Garraud events! And the ones that aren't Sam's Garrauds are all descendants of Edward Moise Garraud and Sarah Sellers.

I had a quick look on FamilySearch for Pierre (and Edouard) Garraud, and Antonin, but nothing concrete leapt out at me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I don't think it is very easy to find New Jersey deaths online, or at least I have never managed to find deaths for my relatives there ...
One thing that frustrates me about researching my American family is the differences in the way each State viewed 'vital records' and the (at times) impossibility of accessing them in a meaningful way (almost that you need to know all of what you're looking for before you request it!). It is getting better - and I'm thankful for what's out there - but still frustrating nonetheless!

I think us Brits take a lot for granted!!
Old 16-08-12, 11:25
Administrator

Do we know for sure that Pierre Garraud was from France? Just wondering if he could be Canadian, or possibly American, since we know that Jessie went over to America before their marriage.

Old 16-08-12, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Do we know for sure that Pierre Garraud was from France? Just wondering if he could be Canadian, or possibly American, since we know that Jessie went over to America before their marriage.
I'm sure I saw on the marriage certificate that he was a French Subject ... But I wouldn't swear to it! I think Doris assumed that they were French ...

Is there a passenger list for when Jessie came back to the UK before the marriage to Pierre? (This may have been mentioned before and I missed it!)

Maybe the WDYTYA? researchers couldn't find anything definitive about him either, and that was the other reason he wasn't mentioned overly much in the programme!!

Last edited by AshkeJ; 16-08-12 at 11:37.