Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 08-11-15, 23:03

I was thinking the same Maggie.

What other records etc do you need Merry? Start talking about them too.
Old 12-11-15, 21:34

I had another look for a great-aunt who should have been easy to find.

The only reason I have found her is because she flagged up under her future husband's name - de Borchgrave - which is easy to find, although it was transcribed as Borchgrove.

Her surname of Purkis has been transcribed as Parker.
The relatives she was staying with (another great-aunt) had the surname O'Shaughnessy and that has been mistranscribed too.
Old 12-11-15, 22:25

I swore that this register could hold no interest for me but my brother looked at it and found two relatives living in an unexpected place. That reminded me of a family mystery connected to these two sisters and some further research has now uncovered quite a lot of information and unearthed a will, which might have some answers.

So, no direct new information (other than that one sister was a Matron, which we didn't know) but a good prod into doing some more research and getting somewhere with it at last.

OC
Old 15-11-15, 07:11
Administrator

So, OH paid for the page and my family are indeed on it, but with the wrong names!

It turns out none of the 36 open names on the actual page (1616A 006) have been transcribed by fmp at all (ie they are not appearing anywhere else on the database). All the rest of the information on the page has been matched together along each horizontal line accurately , but with names duplicated from page 1616J 006. The closed records on 1616A 006 have been applied by using the transcribed dates from that page, but some of the names from 1818J 006 belong to people still living (ie they are closed on 1616J 006), so those few names should not be slowing at all.

Time to contact fmp!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 15-11-15, 08:27
Administrator

Message sent.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-11-15, 08:04

I'm confused. Can you see your family or not on the actual page?
Old 16-11-15, 12:29
Administrator

The actual page has my family - my grandparents, my aunt whose record is closed as she was born after 1915 and died after 1991 and my mother, whose record is open when it shouldn't be.

Everyone on the page has been transcribed correctly for every field except the name field. The names have been sourced from a completely different page of the Register which is why I didn't recognise my family until I searched by birthdate combined with my grandfather's occupation!.

Old 16-11-15, 22:50

Got it!!

So glad you can see your family, even if the transcribing is wrong.

I wonder how many other pages are wrong? Not fair on those who buy wrong pages and don't have your detective skills.
Old 17-11-15, 08:56
Administrator

I am feeling even more annoyed now.

I had a reply from customer 'support' saying they can only accept transcription corrections via the link when you purchase a page.

So, I looked up the page again and found the link for Brian Redshaw (so actually Walter Clark, my grandfather, the head of the household I'd already unlocked) and rather laboriously corrected his entry. This involved correcting fields for his surname, forenames, other household member's first name(s), other household member's last name(s) and the household name as all those bits were wrong. I then did the same for the other people in the household (my grandmother and mother - I'll worry about mum's entry being open later!)

However, I couldn't correct the other 37 entries on the page because I would have to unlock each household to do it (10 households!!) and obviously I'm not paying to do fmp's job for them!

There was a comments box alongside each correction field so in the surname and forenames comments box I wrote:

"None of the entries on this page have the correct names as they are all transcribed with the names from page 1616J 006."

I doubt they will take notice though. They now have 90 days to make the corrections!

OH suggests I phone them, but I would have to calm down first!

Old 17-11-15, 09:17
Administrator

You could post on their Facebook page, Merry - nobody ever takes the trouble to calm down before doing that!

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry