Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 01-10-11, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I think the shoemaker may have left a will - I can't be certain it's him because we know there were several John Harris's in Overbury and with no burial record available on the NBI after 1851 (though I don't have version 3 so don't know if that might help) and no age at death on the GRO index I don't have any way to check.

There's this entry on the death duty indexes for 1853:

John Harris of Overbury Worcs, exor Mary Harris, court Worcester (I think!).
Nothing on NBI3 either.
Old 01-10-11, 12:15
geniebug

So you think John's Mary was Mary Gilbert. I'm just confused why we think he's a shoemaker ( must read back again). Should I find Mary Gilbert/Harris' death and send away for the certificate, or should I wait till Daphne can look up parish records in late October?

I was given this piece of information from another site which only gave me a bit of stuff, nothing concrete, and apparently someone saw it today and messaged me :

Hi Jood, I might be able to help you My 5 X Great Grandmother was Hester/Esther Harris from Overbury married to John Harris. Where is your connection to them?

Other info from that site, which doesn't help me as et. I am hoping this person can shed a bit of light on my John & Mary -

On the facing page of the 1841 census, is a Hester Harris, who could be the informant Esther.

John Harris 56
Hester Harris 50
Thomas Harris 30
Richard Harris 25
Elizabeth Harris 15
Hariah Harris 14
Job Harris 9

Just received your latest msg Merry - about the Will - that sounds very interesting.

PS - thanks Marg, just got your answer as well.
Old 01-10-11, 12:26
Administrator

Yes, that Hester/Esther is the one I posted about in #19 (but you can't view the census page). I think she is the person who did the registering on the death cert you had.

Quote:
So you think John's Mary was Mary Gilbert. I'm just confused why we think he's a shoemaker ( must read back again). Should I find Mary Gilbert/Harris' death and send away for the certificate, or should I wait till Daphne can look up parish records in late October?
I think the shoemakers wife was Mary Gilbert. He's a shoemaker because that's what it says on the 1851 census, but I don't knw that he is Elizabeth's father, because there seems to be more than one John and Mary Harris having children at the same time.

There are two things that might answer that. Firsty the bap for Betty which may have a father's occ.

Secondly the will (if it's for the right John) which may include his children as beneficiaries and might include Elizabeth if she is his.

The death cert for Mary will only help if the death was registered by her daughter Elizabeth (if E is her daughter). There are four death reg's to choose from though the only one with an age at death (ie post 1866) could be her!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-10-11, 12:34
Administrator

Info re the will:

Year probate granted: 1853
Testator: John Harris of Overbury, Worcs
Executrix: Mary Harris
Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)

The original records are deposited at:

The Worcestershire Records Office.
County Hall
Spetchley Road
Worcester WR5 2NP
ENGLAND

Tel: 44 (001905 766351 / 766355
Fax: 44 (0)1905 766363
Minicom: 766399
Email: [email protected]

Or if you are near an LDS centre:

Family History Library Records
Many of Worcestershire's Probate records have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through the many family history centers world-wide. These include:

■Original wills of the consistory court of Worcester, 1493-1857

https://www.familysearch.org/s/catal...6iYku8TUc%253D

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-10-11, 22:31
geniebug

Thanks for being so helpful Merry, I'll write to them first up and then take it from there.

I am still waiting on Hester/Esther reply from the other site. Will let you know what they say.
Old 02-10-11, 07:07
Administrator

Of course it could still work out that the Mary who you have the death cert for is Elizabeth's mother. If that's the case we would hope the bap for Betty shows father's occ as labourer or similar. I wonder if this Mary is the mother of John who was married to Esther, as Esther seems to have registered her death?

I suppose if you get the will for John the shoemaker and it doesn't mention Elizabeth Cook it still coud be useful for eliminating some people from your direct family.

Sadly, researching common names is almost always more complicated/expensive than rarer ones though it can be more rewarding when (if!) you manage to sort out who is who!

Old 02-10-11, 07:18
geniebug

The girl from the othe site answered my email :
Quote:
Yes, there were a few Mary and John Harris's in Overbury. Do you know where your connection starts with this family and then I can go from there I just need a bit of a starting point, is this from someone who was transported? Thanks for the certificate.

I've given her what information I had - I just hope she maybe able to shed some light on the matter.

Ive written to the Records Office, but I get the impression they will be closed for a week, so it may be a while before I get a reply.
Old 02-10-11, 07:24
Administrator

Maybe you should take up Daphne's kind offer toget the full details of the 1801 baptism?

Old 02-10-11, 07:33
geniebug

I will Merry, I wasn't quite sure exactly what to ask her to look for.
Old 02-10-11, 07:39
Administrator

I would ask her to look at the 1801 bap for Betty and tell you the full details - cross your fingers the vicar was one for detail! Depending on whether the registers are difficult/easy to examine, maybe she could look at some of those other Harris baps listed earlier by Kate, to see if there are any further clues!