Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 10-09-14, 18:21
Administrator

Of course my George is supposed to have died in the UK.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 10-09-14, 18:23

Yes, I was trying to get some idea of his movements in Aus to see if we could narrow down the date and place of death a bit.
Old 11-09-14, 11:18
Administrator

I didn't realise I had the following info in a letter - I thought I'd just remembered it from an email from my Oz cousin.......

I have a letter from another Burchill who emigrated to New Zealand. This one is Isaac and he was Joseph Burchill's uncle - brother of James who emigrated to Australia and also brother of George who we are looking for. He wrote to Joseph in 1916. Isaac was the youngest of ten children.

Having said he doesn't like corresponding and hasn't been in touch with the English relatives for 30 years (since he left the UK) he goes on to say:

In one of your letters you said you had not seen any of our family since '68 when your uncle Bill stayed with your father, but you never had an uncle Bill (I agree with that!) - his name was George. Some years back he went home and took his wife and daughter with him. He went to London to see my brother (Henry) and he was taken ill and died there and was buried in London. His wife and daughter stayed a little while and then took passage back to Australia, but his wife died on the passage and was buried at sea. The daughter got back quite safe and I have heard that she got married since. She wrote to me once after arriving back, but I never answered it. So you will see what a good correspondent I am.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-09-14, 12:39
Administrator

I had another look on Trove in case there was a mention of George's visit in 1868 but I only found this and a few similar:

Maryborough Chronicle, Wide Bay and Burnett Advertiser, Queensland, Sat 12 Dec 1868

I, JAMES BURCHILL, now residing in Gympie, do hereby give notice that it is my intention to apply at the next Licensing Meeting, to be holden for this district on the 12th day of January next ensuing, for a Publican's License for the sale of fermented and spirituous liquors in the house and appurtenances thereunto belonging, situate on the Monklands Reef, and which I intend to keep as a public-house, under the style and title of the
New Monklands Hotel,
The house contains two sitting and four bedrooms, exclusive of those required for my own use.
I am married, having a wife and two children, and have held a license before.
Given under my hand, this 4th day of December, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-eight.
JAMES BURCHILL.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry