Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-12-12, 06:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
There is a Sophia Mirabella Nicholls birth registered Oct-Dec 1867 in Walsall. In 1901 she is in Llanrhos, Caernarvonshire, Wales, and gets married to a John Johnson in Llandudno, Caernarvonshire, in 1909. Unfortunately FamilySearch doesn't show her father's name on the marriage transcription.

Oh, never mind - I've found Sophia on the 1891 English census and her mother is Ellen. Back to the drawing board...
Not necessarily!! Ellen was widowed in Q2 1870 and in 1871 she has seven children with her, including Sophia and two younger ones and was recorded as a shopkeeper, so she had her work cut out. The fact that she apparently has Sophia Mirabella with her at this time should exclude the child from being the same one as the "dau" with Isaiah and Ann Nichols, and yet..........

Ellen had been married to William Nichols (poss Ellen Keeling m 1857 Walsall district), engine fitter (same occ as Isaiah) and according to the 1861 census William was born about 1836/7 at Bloxwich, Staffs. In 1851 Isaiah (a widower at that time) has a son, William b abt 1836/7 Shelfield Staffs which is the same area, so it seems likely Isaiah was the grandfather of Sophia Mirabella. I wonder if she is listed twice in 1871, once with her mother and once (as daughter!) with her grandfather and step-grandmother?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-12-12, 07:21

I like the theory! Although it is certainly not impossible for her to be his daughter, she is very much younger than Mary Ann in Isaiah's household in 1871 and indeed I had to check the image to make sure it did not say granddaughter.
Old 05-12-12, 12:38

oh dear am totally confused now ? are we saying Mira is Sophia Mirabella and the daughter of Isaiahs son William ? thanks

Vallee
Old 05-12-12, 12:45
Administrator

That's what we're thinking, Vallee.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 05-12-12, 12:49

thanks Kite and all am investigating further now

Vallee