Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 14-07-14, 21:50

What happened to the rest of his family? Can't spot any of them in 1881.
Old 14-07-14, 22:07
Administrator

Maybe he was known as Will short for Willoughby and whoever registered his death registered him as William. Though I didn't find a likely William Jennings death in Sheffield. Also he has a middle initial G on one of the censuses so maybe he was known by some name beginning with G and his death registered under that.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 15-07-14, 06:40

I thought along the same lines, Kite, but still couldn't find anything. Of course, he could have taken his mother's maiden name of Taylor as well, then he really would vanish into the woodwork.
Old 15-07-14, 07:21

Merry, that's really sad about Jemima dying. I wonder if they actually did or didn't know (Jemima & Clarissa) whether their husbands were dead or not. Looks more like they both gave it 20 years before thinking 'well I don't think he's coming back now even if he is still alive'.

Clarissa's father Robert Winfield was also born in Laughton en le Morthen so I wonder if his family knew the Jennings family from childhood and that's how Clarissa met Willoughby. Could just be a coincidence though but Laughton is a small village.

He could have just gone by Will/William or used a middle initial for his new name.

I just have this suspicion that he wasn't dead by the time Clarissa married again.
Old 15-07-14, 18:28

Don't know where it gets you, Clare, but in 1917 there's a Willoughby Jennings practicing dentistry on Madison Ave., New York City.
Willoughby Jennings dentist

The 1920 U.S. census has a 27-year-old Willoughby Jennings, dentist, living with parents James B. a banker and Daisy, both born New York state, likewise their parents born NY except her father born in Connecticut.
1920 U.S. census - Willoughby Jennings

EDIT: Well, never mind, I guess. Seems to be a complete red herring unless you can see something I can't. His full name is Willoughby Marks Jennings; Marks is his mother's maiden name. A bit tantalizing, though, that his father James declares on the 1900 U.S. census (mistranscribed by Ancestry as Jannings) that his (James's) parents are both born in Ireland. Contradicts himself in 1920.

By the way, in my meanderings I came across Willowby, Wilby, Willaby and Willoby as plausible spelling variants. Didn't get me anywhere though.

Janet (Niagara)

Last edited by Janet; 16-07-14 at 04:40.
Old 16-07-14, 09:14

I did notice him too Janet and got very excited at first but then I noticed all you have too. He appears to be a red herring sadly.