Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 17-10-13, 02:00

Thanks OC. That means I am extremely distantly related (by marriage) to Richard III myself, as long as proper (or any) evidence is not required.

I should explain. We went to a family reunion for OH's side and they had a book for sale that had been researched by one of the older members of the family. The man had worked on the tree solidly for many hours a day for a year or so. I got it home and realised he had not spent one cent on certificates but it is my claim to being related to royalty.

I also claim all relationships for OH's side, unless I don't like them, as I am the one who put all the effort into determining they were relatives.

My only genuine/proven claim to royalty is that one of my distant somethings was the bell cleaner on the brittannia or whatever the royal ship was at the time. The census was very specific, it may have been a brass bell but i can't remember now. Who knows maybe there was an indiscretion? Or more likely she may have even see a royal person, in the distance, down the other end of the ship, if she squinted. She is very important to me, although I can not recall her name.

Last edited by Kit; 17-10-13 at 02:08.
Old 17-10-13, 05:24
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Just discovered from last night's talk that the Queen has black ancestors, from George III's wife.
Is the link you are talking Margarida de Castro e Sousa who was descended from Madragana, although Madragana was described as a moor they now believe that she was in fact a Christian Sephardic Jew.
Old 17-10-13, 06:37

Hmm. I had assumed we were talking c 1600, rather than c 1250

Though we were advised that "black" in records was a reflection of skin tone, rather than racial origins, and could encompass gypsies and jews.
Old 17-10-13, 10:04

I do like the story about the Queen's so-called black ancestry, but the family tree linking Charlotte back to the mistress of a 13th-century King of Portugal would come crashing down once the eagle-eyed researchers on GF got stuck in.

Slightly related is this story about the African ancestry of one group of Yorkshiremen.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ite-brits.html
Old 20-10-13, 16:16

Thankyou for the interesting link, Shona. I know these articles are written in a dumbed-down way without going into fine detail, but......there have always been black people in the UK and they were not all slaves or descendants of slaves. As it happens, I'm just reading a book which mentions the black Senegalese (next door to Guinea Bissau) amabassador for Portugal who was in England in very early 1500s. Portugal owned Guinea for many centuries.

There is also the misunderstanding that the Y-chromosome somehow codes for skin colour - it doesn't, it is merely the decider of sex (male) and a very few other things. Just because two men have the same Y-dna does not mean they will have the same skin colour.

And who is to say that the rare haplotype now found only in Guinea Bissau and Yorkshire, lol, started there? Why couldn't it have started in China (for silly example) and spread sideways, dying out in all except the two present day locations.

OC
Old 15-02-14, 16:55

Default Here's an interesting development on this thread

And, it would seem, far more realistic in terms of numbers...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/379...the-free-world
Old 15-02-14, 18:08

How can ANYONE be a descendant of this man when he had only one legitimate child who died in childhood!!!!!!!

OC
Old 15-02-14, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
How can ANYONE be a descendant of this man when he had only one legitimate child who died in childhood!!!!!!!

OC
A similar scenario in our family where some insist that OH's line is descended from Sir Isaac Newton. Only problem, he didn't marry and there are no recorded children. So then I was told that they were probably descended from his siblings - except he only had half-siblings, with the surname Smith and not Newton!

If the facts don't fit the theory, the theory is probably wrong!
Old 15-02-14, 18:47

Elizabeth

Yes, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story, or indeed a good family tree!

I notice it is Anthony Adolph who is saying most of the Wstern world is descended from Rlll. You really would think he would do his research a bit more carefully.........

OC
Old 15-02-14, 22:34

Same as Sir Francis Drake, you can't be descended from him either. You can only be related.