Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 28-12-13, 08:12

Default 1921 Canada census look up please

Would anyone with access mind having a look for my great aunt for me - I've tried looking on the free search on Ancestry and can't come up with them but I notice that someone has the 1921 source attached to their tree.

They should be in London, Ontario

Alice Smith (sorry) born England 1881 (although quite likely to be down as 7-9 years younger) and emigrated 1911.
Husband Isaac Cleveland or Cleveland Isaac born 1888 Charlottesville, Norfolk County, Ontario.

At least two children, William born 1914 and Amy born 1919, both born in Ontario I believe.
Old 28-12-13, 12:33
Administrator

I spent ages looking for the marriage of an Alice Smith to Isaac Cleveland or Cleveland Isaac, then looking for Isaac Cleveland / Cleveland Isaac with wife Alice, or Amy Cleveland or Amy Isaac with mother Alice etc and getting absolutely nowhere, also I couldn't find a public tree with an Alice Smith married to an Isaac Cleveland or Cleveland Isaac. At last I searched for him with just birth year and place and found that his name is Isaac Cleveland Smith and his wife was Alice Burnham.

So, now I know what I am looking for, there is a public tree which has the 1921 census attached to Amy but not to Alice:
1921 Canadian census ancestry

They are at 213 Simcoe St, London, Ontario:
Smith, Isaac Charles (not very clear, ancestry have transcribed it as Charles and I couldn't really say whether that is wrong) 33, born Ontario, engineer
" Alice wife 33 born England
" Claude Wm son 6 born Ontario (again, his first name is not very clear but ancestry have transcribed it as Claude)
" Anna Loraine (? first name looks like Anna and I think has been crossed out, ancestry have just transcribed the Loraine part) daughter 2 born Ontario.

(I am assuming it is o.k. to give details of the children as the public tree shows them both as deceased with details of their deaths.) Ancestry have attached the family to the previous household which is part of the reason why they aren't easy to find when searching.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 28-12-13, 14:05

Thank you so much for this, Kate and apologies if it wasn't clear that both were surnamed Smith at the time. Yes, both these two children are dead as is a third of four siblings - interesting that both were born after the time of this census. I will ask for this to be deleted in the near future as the youngest is still alive I think.

No wonder I couldn't find them - the father is Isaac Cleveland and the children William Cleveland and Amy Loraine.