Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-14, 14:56
Administrator

Default A ten year mystery that needs solving....

I've just remembered this mystery regarding my 3xg-uncle, George Burchill and his family and wondered if there's any further info online to help resolve it? I've deliberately not looked for anything today!!

Here's the notes I made in 2004 (comments from today in italics)

re George Burchill bap 6 Sept 1835 at Mangotsfield, Gloucestershire, the son of Isaac Webley Burchill and his wife Elizabeth nee Jefferies. Last seen in the UK on the 1851 census aged 15 with his parents.

George emigrated to Australia before 1882, when he is mentioned in a letter (I don't know if this is in a letter I have here, or not. I will have a look whenI've finished this post.)

George is supposed to have died whilst on a visit to the UK to see his brother Henry (Henry Burchill bap 1840 Mangotsfield and lived at Islington 1871,81 and 1891 and Finsbury in 1901. Died Nov 1909 Hornsey) I have trawled the GRO indexes, but cannot find a very likely death reg for George.

There are a few possible records with mis-spellings:
George BURCHELL 1886 Q4 Calne 5a 39 aged 54
George BURCHELL 1889 Q1 Bath 5c 416 aged 55
George BURCHELL 1896 Q3 Bromley 2a 257 aged 64

George's wife is supposed to have died during the return journey to Australia and was buried at sea. I don't know her name.

My cousin in Oz says in an email June 2004:

We also have a story about a Jane Owen who changed her name from Burchill to Owen. No one remembers why! Jane Owen signed her name on the back of her photograph which she sent to my grandfather's brother. It states "To Dear William With his cousin's best wishes. E J Owen May 1906." ('Dear William' is William Burchill b 1878 Gympie, Queensland, Australia, George's nephew) I have searched without success for this lady. Could Jane Owen be the daughter of George and possibly changed her name because she was reared by another family?

Apparently, George's brother James Burchill, father of 'Dear William' emigrated in May 1865 on a ship called Lightning. I wondered if George went with James? I have never investigated James's emigration.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010