Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-05-14, 10:56
Administrator

Default Oooh, a new lead!

Help!! I'm all of a jitter with a new lead after a decade or two of struggling on this line........

I've just been looking through the death duty indexes hoping to find an entry for Thomas Maynard.

He's difficult because all I know about him is this:

Parents William Maynard and Elizabeth Crawley who married in 1737 at St John's Bedford.

Thomas b some time between then (he's not the eldest child) and about 1750 when Elizabeth is supposed to have died.

Probably married around 1770-1775 - don't know his wife's name

Possibly had at least three children (based mostly on the 'fact' that these children don't seem to belong to anyone else!):

Leah about 1775/80-ish probably in Hertfordshire (she married and lived in Herts)
Levi similar dates place unknown (he emigrated to South Africa)
Another daughter who married someone called Millwood, probably by 1792.

I've no idea what happened to Thomas.

Anyway, today's breakthrough is that as I looked through the Death Duty indexes for all the Thomas Maynard entries to see if any of them felt like they might be him (given I don't know much about him or where he lived.), I found this entry:

Index to Death Duty register 1831
Testator: Maynard, Thomas
Executor: J Lavender, Redbourne, Herts
Court: Bedford (the index has another word or abbreviation in front)
Register 1 Folio 162 Number 6

J Lavender of Redbourn(e) is highly likely to be Thomas's grandson, John Lavender, son of his dau Leah. If Thomas isn't the Thomas I'm expecting then I'm sure he is going to be a close relative!!

So, can anyone find anything else about Thomas Maynard who probably died 1830/31 possibly in Herts or Beds and where do I get the will from?? (by yesterday! lol)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010