Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 19-07-12, 15:08

Default Marriage cert

Hello, I wonder if someone can confirm something for me please. I am helping a friend with her tree and I have this marriage

Name: John Marshall
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1874
Registration district: Kensington
Inferred County: London
Volume Number: 1a
Page Number: 435

to Margaret Collins

The friend has given me a copy of the marriage from the parish records? It is in the old Latin format and is from St Philipps Oratory, London, Brompton in the diocese of Westminster 14th Sept 1874

The Anglicised names are John Marshall and Margaret Collins the fathers are given as Jeremiah Collins and Henry Marshall. There are no fathers occupations or indication if they are alive because of the old format.

My question is, if she orders the marriage cert from the GRO will it be in the modern format giving the extra information, or will it just contain what we already know.

I think I have found Jeremiah Collins in 1841 and in 1851 with a new wife, but an occupation form the marriage cert would help
Old 19-07-12, 15:17
Administrator

The copy you would get from the GRO will be in English and will be on a standard form, so there will be a column for father's occupation, but I can't say for sure whether it will be filled in. Is it a Roman Catholic marriage? If so then I think the registrar will have filled in the copy for the local register office and that would be the one that was copied out for the GRO, so I think he would most likely have filled that bit in.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 19-07-12, 15:26

I think it was a catholic marriage, I assumed the civil bit would be separate as it is today in a Catholic church. I just wanted to check before I advise her to buy the certificate. I am having trouble finding Margaret with her family before she marries. I think I possibly have her in 51 and the same father and some siblings in 41 (she was born c 1846 ). The man in both censuses is a gas fitter so if that was on the marriage cert it would help.
Old 19-07-12, 17:51

Yes, Brompton Oratory is a famous Roman Catholic church.

I agree with Kate that the GRO certificate is a standard form and occupation of fathers OUGHT to be shown.

OC
Old 19-07-12, 18:03

Thank you, I will try and persuade my friend to buy the certificate because it is the only way of proving the other info I have found. It is so difficult when it is not your own tree.
Old 19-07-12, 18:13

Linda

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I am trying to help a friend with her tree and in her own words "I would do anything to find him". Anything except buy a ****** certificate, that is!

OC
Old 19-07-12, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Linda

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I am trying to help a friend with her tree and in her own words "I would do anything to find him". Anything except buy a ****** certificate, that is!

OC
That's the problem. People ask for help but they really do think that everything is there on the internet at the click of a button. It doesn't cost money does it?
Old 19-07-12, 20:58

No not a penny?!!!!!!!! - wish that was the case - I daren't even think how much its cost me so far!!! especially when I went off on a tangent and got certificates galore and parish records only to find I'd gone awry!!!!
Old 20-07-12, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBee View Post
No not a penny?!!!!!!!! - wish that was the case - I daren't even think how much its cost me so far!!! especially when I went off on a tangent and got certificates galore and parish records only to find I'd gone awry!!!!
Been there and done that.
Old 21-07-12, 09:16

And then a lot of the London parish marriage certs I'd paid for are now available as part of my Ancestry sub. Not to mention all the original certs my Mum discovered after I'd shelled out for copies!
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire