Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 12-06-10, 10:39

Smile Elizabeth Rowland - Hit a brickwall

Good Morning Everyone

I am trying to find the parents of my great x 2 grandma, Elizabeth Rowland.

I have Elizabeth on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census with her 'husband' Walter King, in Sheffield.

In 1891, the family are at 24 Percy Street, Neepsend, Sheffield. The eldest child is Eliza aged 5, born Sheffield. Image states that Elizabeth is born in Rotherham.

In 1881, Walter King is widowed with a son James in Brightside, Sheffield. I have found the burial of his first wife, Mary and the son James.

In 1901, The family are at 3 Fowler Street, Pitsmoor, Sheffield. Eliza is not with family and I cannot find her. With Walter and Elizabeth are sons Albert & Ernest. Image states Elizabeth is born Sheffield; however, it looks like the enumerator ditto'd alot as Sheffield so it could be that she is not born there. Walter was ditto'd as born Sheffield when he is actually born Almondbury near Huddersfield.

Ive found the family in 1911 at 3 Newhall Road, Sheffield. Walter and Elizabeth with children Ernest, Lilian and William (my great grandfather). Image says Elizabeth is born at Botham Street with Sheffield squeezed in.

The problem I have firstly is that Walter and Elizabeth, despite saying they were married, didnt appear to have married at all. I certainly cannot find a marriage between the two. 1911 says they were married 25 years at this point with 10 children born alive, 5 dead and 5 still alive. With no marriage cert, I dont know who Elizabeth's father was.

Elizabeth's ages that were given on all census would indicate she was born 1864/5c. I have looked at the 71 and 81 census and there is an Elizabeth that is jumping out at me. This Elizabeth is the daughter of Robert Rowland and Lydia (previously Wadsworth as there are stepchildren on the 71 census). This Elizabeth is born Kimberworth which is in Rotherham.

With no marriage entry and no clue so far on the later census to who Elizabeth was the daughter of, is this the end of the road with this lady?

Any guidance much appreciated

Regards
Claire

Last edited by BlueSavannah; 13-06-10 at 07:59. Reason: 1881 for Walter King amended
Old 12-06-10, 10:49
Administrator

Botham Street seems to be in Grimesthorpe, Sheffield, if that's any help?

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 12-06-10, 10:59

Thanks Kite. It isnt helpful at present but maybe it will be. Ive tried to follow up Robert & Lydia on later census and they appear to end up in Sheffield (in the Workhouse sadly) but not at Botham Street.
Old 12-06-10, 13:53
Administrator

I found a Mary Elizabeth Rowland born 1862 Sheffield with parents William and Mary, but we can rule her out as she married a William Harris Taylor and she is still with him in 1891.

Old 12-06-10, 14:23

Its driving me mad Kite, Ive so wanted to find my great x 2 grandma's family for so long. I have purchased two of Elizabeth & Walter's childrens birth certs, William in 1911 (great grandad) and his elder brother Ernest's in 1893. Both say mother is Elizabeth King formerly Rowland.

I found son Albert's army records for WW1 on Ancestry but they give no further info about his family apart from next of kin was Walter King and Walter's address. It also said he had a brother, Ernest, of the same address.

I think I have found what is Elizabeth's death in 1920 in Sheffield.
Old 12-06-10, 14:28

What intrigues me also is that it doesnt appear that Walter King married his first wife either! I have their son, James King's birth cert and it says mother was Elizabeth King formerly Wilson. I found the first Elizabeth's burial at St Thomas, Brightside in Sheffield. Also, little James was also burried there aged 4. Walter is on the 1881 census with a Wilson family (I think looking at age it was a brother of Elizabeth).

I wonder if there would be a reason why someone would claim to be married twice but there doesnt appear to be a marriage to either lady?
Old 12-06-10, 16:51
Administrator

Was his first "wife" called Mary or Elizabeth? You said Mary in your first post and Elizabeth in your latest one?

Old 12-06-10, 20:20

eek, sorry Kite. Dont know what I was thinking there. His first wife was also called Elizabeth nee Wilson. Havnt a clue where I got Mary from
Old 12-06-10, 21:28
Administrator

I looked at this earlier, but forgot to post. It's a bit odd that there doesn't seem to be a birth reg for either of the first two children, Eliza and Albert, in Sheffield? Nothing under Rowland either (I think I looked??)

I wonder if you could post up the ref for Walter for 1881? I took about half an hour to find him in 1891, and can't face another long look!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-06-10, 06:48

Hi Merry

Hopefully Ive done this right and this is the ref for Walter King in 1881:
Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4664; Folio: 42; Page: 25; GSU roll: 1342128.

He is with his son James from the first marriage and a family called Wilson. His first alleged wife Elizabeth's maiden name was Wilson so my instinct is that this is possibibly a brother of Elizabeth and his family.

I hadnt found a likely reg for Eliza either; however, on Albert's WW1 records, he claims to have been born in Neepsend, Sheffield, which is where they are in 1891.

Last edited by BlueSavannah; 13-06-10 at 06:50. Reason: Albert